• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Mulch Job Help

JML

LawnSite Senior Member
I have a 7,800 sq. ft. area that needs to be mulched. How many cubic yards of mulch would i need for 1 inch thick? 1.5 inches thick? and 2 inches thick. Thanks for your help. <br>

Eric ELM

Husband, Father, Friend, Angel
I'm a little slow, I came up with the same figures though.<p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://www.townserver.com/elm/&quot;&gt;Eric@ELM&lt;/a&gt;<br>

LoneStarLawn

LawnSite Bronze Member
Yeah the numbers are about right.<p>Just take your sq ft. = 7800<br>Multiply by the depth = 1 in.<br>Then divide the total by 324 to get cubic yards.<p>7800 * 1 = 7800<br>7800/324 = 24.074074<p><br>Do the same for 1.5 in and 2 in.<br>1.5 in = 36.11111<br>2.0 in = 48.148148<p>The 324 comes from:<br>12in = 1 ft. (convert in to ft)<br>3ft = 1 yard ( convert ft to yrd)<br>cube the 3 ft. <br>12in * (3*3*3) = 324<br>

steveair

LawnSite Bronze Member
Hey, this question was in landscaping too. Whats wrong with us construction guys. You need to get a second opinion from these lawn jockeys too:)<p>steveair