1. Site Upgrade Planned for Next Week!

LawnSite community,

As you know, we continually look for ways to enhance your experience on LawnSite and always try to make the site better, with more enhanced features and capabilities, and improved navigation so you can easily find the information that you’re looking for. So, the time has come for another software/site upgrade to a newer version of our platform. Once the upgrade is complete, we’re planning on making additional changes that will significantly improve upon your experience on LawnSite.

The upgrade is planned for early next week, with additional features being rolled out in the weeks and months ahead. As always, we welcome your feedback and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
    Dismiss Notice

Mulch or Bag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigdaddyregier, May 31, 2020.

1. bigdaddyregier

bigdaddyregier LawnSite Member

I have a customer wanting me to start bagging because her dog is bringing in too many clippings. I have a 36 inch vride 2, is there a mulching option that will fix this or do I need to buy a grass catcher? This is my only customer requesting bagging.

2. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Drop the customer and find a new one.

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

Tell her bigdaddy don't bag. I dare ya.

4. bluetruck

bluetruck LawnSite Senior Member

no bagging here, if you like the customer enough the best id do is use a blower and "power rake" the yard, that should help reduce the clippings some. otherwise i would be finding a new property to replace that one with. you could suggest to get rid of the dog.

Madison Landscaping and Cam15 like this.
  5. Hawkshot99

Hawkshot99 LawnSite Silver Member

Your looking at a minimum of $350 to get a basic bag for your mower.

Can you mow her lawn for free for the yr to make her happy? Plus what will you be doing with the clippings?

I'd tell her sorry I dont bag. Mulching would not be a option for me because the clippings are still there for the dog to bring in, and I dont want to have to run a mulch kit for all lawns. It is not something you can take of and on as needed.

Ridin' Green, Cam15 and Crazy 4 grass like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    bigdaddyregier

bigdaddyregier LawnSite Member

I had planned on putting a hurricane kit on when I bought the mower but it gets terrible reviews with the advantage deck. I already have it on my cheetah but the yard is too small to use the cheetah. Do you think a grass flap with some mulching blades would cut the grass fine enough to make a difference?

Crazy 4 grass likes this.
  7. bluetruck

bluetruck LawnSite Senior Member

we have a Vride (not 2) with an advantage deck and we do have a grass flap with gator blades, it does for sure chew up the grass better than just side discharge but if it is thick or wet at all you will get clumps really bad if you keep the flap down all the time. i would HIGHLY recommend the grass flap as it is an amazing time saver for mowing past cars and other things you dont want sprayed with grass, but it doesnt replace a mulch kit. your best bet and what we do, double cut, first cut with the grass flap down, second with it up, then go over it with a blower, that is the best you will get with out bagging.

8. Bfish

Bfish LawnSite Member

cut more frequently or double cut... both will make smaller clippings that are less likely to stick to the dog.

hort101 and Lithium Man like this.
  9. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Silver Member

I have a chute blocker on my mower and no it makes larger clumps then you have to double cut anyway. I’d cut high and cut twice. Unless she’s gonna pay enough to justify buying a Bagger just for one account. I don’t bag. Had 1 customer request it out of 50. Not changing my whole setup & buying an extra piece of equipment just for one customer.

10. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I bag a lot of lawns due to pools, small areas, or similar issues.

hort101 likes this.