• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

mulch Price guideline ?

zmak

LawnSite Member
curious to know what you guys charge for mulch in bulk.

I know we all have our own profit guidelines just curious to hear from others. I usually charge double for each yard no discount for bigger jobs and contractors are charged less.

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC.

LawnSite Member
I dont use truckload, I only bag mulch. I charge 3 times the cost of a bag, 2 times if i know the customer personally.

roadhawg3

LawnSite Member
bulk cypress is now up to $17 a yard
I charge $75. for delivery, and if they want it spread it would be $34 per yard, and my trailer holds 5 yards, so it would be $245. delivered and spread.

OP
Z

zmak

LawnSite Member
thanks for letting me know i might now charge a delivery charge on top of my regular cost.
Never have used bag mulch seems time consuming

roadhawg3

LawnSite Member
one more thing I didnt mention , that $75. delivery charge is for "locals" only. I charge an additional $1. per mile for out of town delivery.

twins_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
As a general rule, I try and get 2-3 times the price of the mulch. if I am having to wheel it a longer distance, I just up the price more towards the 3X price. Usually it is just that, a guideline, and every job should be looked at differently.

GarPA

LawnSite Silver Member
Twins...so what if a customer wants dyed mulch? in our area its almost $30/yard? Some of the lesser quality mulch sells for as little as $12/yard.

Unless I'm missing something here, the labor effort to install 3 yards of cheap stuff is no different than 3 yards of higher priced mulch. But with your formula, it would seem to work ok for the higher priced material but not so well with the low end mulch.

I;m not being critical of your approach, but rather just curious how you can install mulch for $24 per labor hour based on that formula?

twins_lawn_care

LawnSite Senior Member
Good point Garpa-

Like I said, this is my general rule of estimating on site when I am called over across the street. Some people just want a guesstimate. If they want an estimate I will stand on, I tell them I will write one up and bring it by tomorrow, so I can make sure to get at least my minimum labor cost needs (for mulch I try to get $30 per hour, which is about 1 yard worth)

I am glad you pointed this out though, so others don't just use it an wonder why they're not making money.

I haven't done too many mulch jobs as of yet, and the one's I've done so far have averaged about my $30 per yard larbor fee, plus i mark up the mulch %50 of cost to me. So for a $12 yard mulch, I'll get $48 installed.