1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mulch question

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by ALLPro Landscaping, Mar 24, 2010.

1. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

What is the lowest you go in price, for example I think the most ive ever put down was 35 yards of mulch for one job. Now I have 2 hotels owned by the same person, wants 1 bill for both, total mulch will be 200 yards, my cost for the mulch is 15 per yard, im still waiting on a new price since im buying to tractors full, normally I charge a min of 65 per yard, the most is 120 per yard, I could afford to go lower per yard, but I still want to keep the prices competitive. This is not a new b question, just don't want to low ball. Thanks

2. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, using rough numbers, looks like you are going to have $5,600 wrapped up in materials and direct labor to spread it, assuming 1/yd per hour and assuming you have to pay an employee. Figure your overhead and then a profit amount. Seems like you could make quite a killing if you figure everything out right. Cover yourself, and make a profit. Are you going to deliver it or have it delivered? If I got the mulch for as cheap as you can, I could spread it for around $50-55/yd ($55 with delivery) and make some pretty decent money. However, there isn't a lot in there for fudge factor....

3. ALLPro Landscaping

ALLPro Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I agree, if I spread it for 55 per yard, that leaves me with a 14 dollar per yard per hour profit, that leaves me 2600, so I think thats the lowest im gonna go, I figured employee overhead, and skid steer per hour

4. Woody82986

Woody82986 LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I could drop my price a bit to the $60.00/yard range if the job gets to the 10 yard or so range. Anything less than that and I will stay closer to my normal $75-$80/yard range.