Mulch stained block caps

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by WarriorLandscaping, May 22, 2019.

1. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

It doesn't go away anytime soon. At my companies association we had the lawn crew come in and dump 100 yds of mulch in the parking lot. Moron didn't use a tarp, we still have a stain going on 2 months and it's not looking like it will disappear anytime soon. He also let marks all over with his skid steer. Rookie company, bad owner, crappy employees.

I would tell the customer that the option to use a non died mulch is always there, but if he doesn't want to go that route he will have some staining if any mulch is left outside of the bed.

2. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Just put bleach (1/4) in a 99 cent spray bottle, dish soap and fill the rest with water, spray it let it set for 20 minutes, rinse. No need for pressure washer.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Ohh….the beloved homeowners whining about petty stuff. How I don't miss those days.

Yes, just quote the dude to pressure wash them using his water. Do not do it for free.

The caps, the block, any pavers, will fade. And will get a layer of dirt on them. And the customer wont even notice / care.

People think life is maintenance free. You have to change your furnace filters. You have to clean your dryer lint traps. You have to clean your stove. And you have to clean your hardscape. Tell the guy to get a life.

knox gsl, m_ice and zlandman like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    WarriorLandscaping

WarriorLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    Male

Bleach won't ruin the block?

Thanks for your input.

5. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

I was about to ask for an update and outcome. I personally wouldn't risk any bleach solution running on to the grass and or planta and screwing with the pH but that's just my 2 cents. Unless Sharpie is making y'all's mulch I have never had a problem cleaning the "stain" up and I always use what we call painted or dyed (longer lasting color) which sound like what you are using.

Cam15 likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    WarriorLandscaping

Male

I am going to try power-washing tomorrow and bring a bottle of that mixture in case.

I may just do soap and water as it is near a garden and raining tomorrow. Would not want to bleach the plants with run-off.

7. BackCreekLLC

BackCreekLLC LawnSite Member

Reference using a pressure washer, These customers sound like the ones who would complain about streaks on the blocks Bc certain areas are cleaner. I know they’re a new blocks, but I’d hate to get sucked into pressure washing them all to make sure they match

8. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

Agree. Start far away just close enough to try and get the "stain off" too close and you will be ^^^^^. As they will now be "too clean and now need to match".

hal likes this.
  9. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

No it won't hurt anything if you wet it first, grass too, spray it wait 10 minutes or so and wash it off with a garden hose. If you use a pressure washer you will blow mulch into the next yard if not careful.

JFGLN, Cam15 and WarriorLandscaping like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    WarriorLandscaping

Male

lol this is the first complaint in two years so it what it is.

I would be particular too if I hired a company to do my gardens and my interlocking was stained, not that big of a deal. We should of been cleaner. He seems worry like his block is ruined lol. He's a painter too, should know better.

But yeah, stuff happens.

hort101 likes this.