Lawn Care Forum banner

Mulch

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Texas*Golf*Bum 
#1 ·
I have a number of apartment that I mow, but the mulched beds took so much time keeping weeds and grass out. I will be adding mulch this spring but wanted to ask what pre-emergents any of you used because mine (pendulum) sure has not worked for the last three years of spring and fall applications. Try to keep 2" of mulch base.

#3 ·
We have had pretty good success with lesco's SNAPSHOT. Make sure weeds are pulled first, mulch top-dressed properly, then put down the pruduct at the correct setting on your hand spreader
Maybe that is what I am doing wrong. I have been pulling up all the weeds, putting down the pre emergent, then putting down the mulch. So, I should put it down over the mulch? Also I am using a granular and not a liquid.

#4 ·
As previously stated, read the label for direction and application rates. In our state, you need to have a pesticide license to use ANY pre-emergent herbicide, even ones that homeowners may purchase (like preen)

#5 ·
Remember to WATER IN your pre emergents they don't just start working on their own. On mulch beds we use snapshot, spread a layer water it in THEN mulch over it. Sometimes we put a layer on top of the new mulch also, and water it in. May be overkill but it's better than pulling weeds and grass out of beds.

#6 ·
We have had pretty good success with lesco's SNAPSHOT. Make sure weeds are pulled first, mulch top-dressed properly, then put down the pruduct at the correct setting on your hand spreader
I believe it's a Dow Chemical product also sold by Lesco.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/snapshot-25-tg-50-lb-bag-p-1337.html?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=herbicides+-+jumpfly&utm_content=snapshot+2.5&utm_term=snapshot+herbicide

Definitely the best but WHEW! The PRICE! There are generic versions.

You not only need a pesticide license it may require a separate category.

You may need to water it in Texas. I don't need to in Ohio.

Weeds are so prevalent in Ohio I always have to spot treat with Roundup once a month or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.