Mulching blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gabby, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

I have a Scag tiger Cub with a bagger system and I was thinking about getting some mulching blades for it. I was told by the Scag dealer that the mulching blades will be fine when not using the bagger but he said he does not recommend using the mulching blades with the bagger as it chops the grass and leaves to fine for the bagger to work properly. Is this true? Anyone have experience using mulching blades with a bagger? I would think they would work better because if I am not running the bagger I get the mulched grass and if I am running the bagger they would chop everything up finer and I will fit more in the bags. Thoughts?

2. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

Anyone????

3. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

I assume you're using a standard catcher and not a collection system? I have found using a "mulcher" blade (Gator mulcher) and bagging only work well when the conditions are near perfect (cutting the minimal growth off the top and bone dry conditions), otherwise I get windrowing; however they work like a champ in SD mode, dispersing even/finer clippings.

4. ajordan193

ajordan193 LawnSite Senior Member
    from WNY

i use the mulcher blades using my clam shell bagger on my tiger. No problems here.

5. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not familiar with your bag. I think the problem with mulching blades is this: the fan part of the blade is cut up to mulch, and therefore the vacuum it produces is minimized. The blade simply cannot move as much air because the fan blade is compromised, and this causes grass to clog the chute. The solution is to run a normal blade on the bottom and a mulching blade on top of and perpendicular to it. I believe this will work for you.

6. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

I have the three bag bagger that is OEM from Scag. So you are saying run double blades? How do you do that? Thanks.

7. Mark in MD

Just as I said two posts up. You're welcome.

8. Gabby

Gabby LawnSite Member

OK I am confused then. So I run a normal blade on the bottom - got that, but how do you run a blade perpendicular to another blade? That makes no sense to me as perpendicular is 90 degrees up/down from the other blade. Do you mean parallel? If so do you just stack the blades? Maybe what you are saying by perpendicular is to run them stacked and 90 degrees rotated from each other. If I were to stack blades that would lower my cutting height by the thickness of the second blade if my thinking is correct (unless I cut down the spacer by the thickness of the blade) - correct? Thanks again for you time.

9. Grassbuster

Grassbuster LawnSite Member

Gabby - confusing to me too.... seems like double blades = power loss & more wear on the spindles???

10. Mark in MD

Yes. You got it. I don't know how thick your spacers are. My spacers are about one blade thickness, so I remove one spacer when I add one blade. You're welcome.