1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Mulching estimate

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Hotty Toddy, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Hotty Toddy

Hotty Toddy LawnSite Member

ive been asked to mulch the beds of a nice home. I measured out the beds to be 6000SF. Using a mulch calculator, that comes out to 37 yards of hardwood mulch. The mulch retails at $28.99 a yard = $1072.63 in materials. Delivery fee is $100.

I’ll be doing this alone. Would charging 2x retail be appropriate? This would bring the total project cost to $2245.26.

Am I at least in the ballpark with this quote? Your experienced feedback is appreciated.

Darrell

2. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

how deep is that figured at?
    is it a new bed or going over existing mulch?
    wide open beds or heavily planted?

3. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

37 yards by yourself will take about days to complete, charge per yard, say $90 per yard or what ever makes you money and the business money.
    Get some help too, and a couple double wheel wheelbarrows, make sure you put your preen down before it rains so it can soak in.

jetson likes this.
  4. crazy man

crazy man LawnSite Member

I charge $80.00 a yard delivered and installed for most of our properties but I am a long way from you so i imagine prices vary. Maybe someone not to far from you can chime in.

hort101 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

How many days to you think it will take me? The number didn’t come through

6. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

Calculated at 2 inches. Some areas are pretty bare, but it has been mulched in the past. The beds are thoughtfully planted — established shrubs with room for annual color.

hort101 likes this.
  7. starry night

starry night LawnSite Gold Member

One cautionary note: If you figure how much time it will take you to move and spread one yard, don't make the mistake that you will be able to do yard #37 in the same amount of time.

Mark Stark, jetson and hort101 like this.
  8. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

I really don’t suggest doing it solo. If this is the only thing you read from me just keep in mind.. you will hate life

I can get mulch close to $10 a yard cheaper.... I’m a super reliable customer who pays cash every time.

9. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

10. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

That depends on how much wheel barelling and weeding or trimming needs to be done

Let alone where the truck is parked/pile

Doc8406 and hort101 like this.