1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Mulching & HP~Torque

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scout_pete, Jun 6, 2005.

1. scout_pete

scout_pete LawnSite Member

I know more is better, and I'm sure this has been discussed a few times but I can't find a topic in search....

What do you guys think is the best HP-to-deck-width ratio on a hydro W/B for mulching or running double blades? That is, is a 17HP kaw twin adequate for running a mulching kit on a 48" deck and not enough for muclhing with a 52" deck? How 'bout a Kaw 19HP mulching deck size ...not enough for 54" to 60"? Sticking with weekly cuts on mostly cool season grasses.... :help:

2. docs

docs LawnSite Member

I have found that while more HP is better, it has not made that much difference when it comes to mulching. You need to cut about every 4/5 days or your mower will bog down. I have tried all kinds of spays and other coatings on the mower deck with little success. Most of the time I have to double cut. I am presently running a dixie chopper.

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Well Your Mower Won't "Bog Down" if you Have Enough HP...That's the Whole Point.... Minimum Requirement for Serious Mulching w/Doubles.

21"-6hp
    32"-15hp
    36"-17hp
    48"-23hp
    52"--25hp