1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Mulching kit info on Toro 48" rear discharge

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Stuttering Stan, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for info about a mulching kit for a Toro 325 with a 48" Guardian Recycler rear discharge deck. Does anyone have a part #, recommendations, or suggestions about mulching with this deck.

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

What is the actual model number/serial number of the unit? I can check with what you posted, but that may not be enough info.

3. Stuttering Stan

Deck model # 78477, serial #892447. Frame model #74182, serial # 891466. Thanks for all your help, I am already tired of bagging everything

4. pugs

Here is what I found:

PRODUCT: Out Front Z

UNITS AFFECTED:
    Model Numbers: Serial Numbers:
    74181 890001 - 899999
    74183 890001 - 899999
    78477 890001 - 899999

SUBJECT: Optional Recycler baffles are available for 48" decks.

SITUATION: In some grass conditions there have been complaints of stragglers and streaking on the 48" deck.

CORRECTION: Verify proper setup on the unit. If the condition still occurs remove the original Recycler baffles and install the new Recycler baffles; follow the instructions exactly.

IMPORTANT: It is extremely important that the tolerance between the blade tip and the baffle be kept exactly as published.

WARRANTY: 0.5 hours

PARTS:
    (1) 100-2438 48" Recycler Baffle Kit

NOTES:

1. Use of ΒΌ" blades is recommended, see bulletin #34

2. Remove anti-scalp roller from under center front of deck to aid in improving quality of cut.

FORM NO. 3323-108

Rear Baffle Kit for 48" OFZ Deck

Part No. 100-2438

It doesnt really say if its a mulch kit or not. I am not very familiar with the unit you have as we have only been a Toro dealer for about a year. Is this machine like a Walker or other collection machine with the hopper out back?

I found the same part number above in their LCE accessories book...and its about the only thing that is close to a mulch kit for that machine that I see.

5. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

That unit is a "Recycler" deck, Toro's word for a mulcher. It is already a mulching deck and the S/B Pugs posted was a fix for quality of cut issues. If you look at the deck, you will find no discharge chute/area, thus the mulching capability.

Good Luck!! Mike

6. pugs

Thats kinda what I figured with the Recycler name in there...

7. Stuttering Stan

I am confused as to why you said there is no discharge chute. As I see it, the chute is in the rear center of the deck. In order for it to mulch, I imagine a triangle shape that would block that rear chute and finish circling the baffles.

8. Stuttering Stan

Pugs, thanks for the part numbers and explanations. This will help tremendously