1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Mulching per yard or hour

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Thecrow1, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Thecrow1

Thecrow1 LawnSite Member

I moved here to northern Pennsylvania last year. I'm in the lawn care business but decided to expand to Landscaping. I'd say that around here it's about $100 per yard for mulch. I'm paying for mulch, delivery, install. Anything extra like edging, weed barriers or Preen etc is more. Some guys are charging by the hour with everything separate I find this too confusing. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated very much.

2. Antonacci Landscape

Antonacci Landscape LawnSite Member

Charge by the yard - $75 yard

Thecrow1 likes this.
  3. Joana Williams

Joana Williams LawnSite Member

We charge $100/Yard.
    Someone can move roughly 1 yard per hour

ShowCaseLawnCare and Thecrow1 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Thecrow1

Thecrow1 LawnSite Member

Yes, this is what I am thinking. I'm here outside of Wilkes barre, luzerne county. Mulch triple shred is about $32 per yard.i can't see charging any less.in fact, if it's tough terrain I'd charge little more. I'm buying one of those Gorillas 10 cubic feet carts that dump today.i have single wheel wheelbarrow but it's not going to help me moving these yards of mulch myself

5. Joana Williams

Joana Williams LawnSite Member

A few people think I'm way overpriced in my area, but I don't care.
    People around here charge $50.00 - $60.00 / Yard. It just isn't worth it to me for anything less then $100.00 / Yard

rlasche and Thecrow1 like this.
  6. falzoneslawncare

falzoneslawncare LawnSite Member

$75 is pretty cheap
    i charge $125 per yard for the mulch and the install only, the prep, weeding plus fabric are extra.

rlasche, Thecrow1 and Joana Williams like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Thecrow1

Thecrow1 LawnSite Member

What do you charge for the fabric? Per square yard?

1620cwj likes this.
  8. falzoneslawncare

falzoneslawncare LawnSite Member

80 % of my cliants are very high end and live in high end gated communitys, they expect the very best and really don not care about the price but expect high quality. so I supply the best products available to me, an average of. 75 to 1.25 per square foot for the fabric and most times that will include the weeding and bed redefining but not the shrub trimming or hauling the old mulch and debris away.

9. Jake the grass guy

Jake the grass guy LawnSite Senior Member

110@/yard installed with minor bed prep not including fabric. ( i hate putting down fabric). 100$/yard after 20 yards. and 1 yard/ hour seems a little drastic to me i think 2 yards/hour seems a little more my speed. i also have a 2 yard minimum.

rlasche, 1620cwj and Thecrow1 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Thecrow1

Thecrow1 LawnSite Member

I have people from all walks of life. Some don't mind paying my worth, others try to haggle until you are forced to walk away. I'm going to charge 100 for the mulch per yard and thanks to you, about a buck for the fabric. I use to of the line products. I hate losing customers but if they haggle that much over couple hundred it's just not worth it.