1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

mulching pricing

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by slowleak, Feb 20, 2003.

1. slowleak

slowleak LawnSite Member
    from 63055

being a newbe i'm interested in how you guys buy your mulch,quanity,? quality? do you bid your mulch jobs with a mark up on the product included.? and finally is 17.50 a yard a reasonable price.? thanks kevin

2. Popsicle

Popsicle LawnSite Member

I'm getting 13 yards delivered today. I buy composted mulch so it doesn't take too much nitrogen from the soil. It costs me $21.50/yard delivered. It's really nice stuff.

I charge an hour a yard on top of the mulch plus 20%. Depending on the job, I may also add a delivery charge.

3. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

60/yard cedar here , recap only.

I don't do new installs.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

$100 even/yard installed. Includes edging. Pay about $22/yard for 3x hardwood mulch.

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Scraper's price range is appropriate.....one yard an hour is a decent benchmark...its an average that works out pretty well

6. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge $75 per yard, installed for, double shredded light, medium, and dark bark mulch. My cost per yard is $14.50.

For colored or dyed bark mulch, I charge $100 per yard installed. my cost is $23.50 per yard.

7. Green430

Green430 LawnSite Member

I charge about 55-60 per c.y. for hardwood mulch. I also use a mulch blower company for my bigger jobs. The nice thing is they do everything for about 30-35 per yard. Does a sweet job also.

8. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

$60 - 100 per yard. Is that including the prep work (ie: weeding, cleaning out beds, edging, etc.) or is that price just for the material and installation?

9. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I usually include prep work in my price. If the weeds are excessive I may charge an additional fee. But as long as the job calls for 4 to 5 yards of bark, I usually dont increase the price for excessive weeds.

10. Tom Musselman

Tom Musselman LawnSite Member

Wow. You guys charge $60 to $100 per yard?

So a customer with say 5,000 sq. ft of beds, at ~200 sq. ft/yd, would need 25 yards of mulch and would be billed for $1,500 to $2,000 with materials (on high side at $20/yd) at $500?

Perhaps I'm missing something here but those numbers seem high to me. $40 to $45 per yard are about the most I've seen around here. I could be wrong, actually I'd love to be wrong and start billing out at these rates if the market will bare it. Unfortunately, I doubt that very much.