1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Mulching v. bagging v. side dispatch

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Jmill88, Sep 9, 2008.

  1. Jmill88

    Jmill88 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 129

    I'm a newbie and was just wondering what you guys prefer(i should say do more often)? When bagging, how much more do you charge?
  2. bjack312

    bjack312 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 0

    I mulch about 90% of the time. Only time I will bag is if the grass is wet and I know mulching would leave a bad cut.
  3. Kennedy Landscaping

    Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,597

    90% of the time I bag and occasionally I will mulch. If the grass is really high I Discharge then Bag it. On occasion I will side discharge if the grass isn't high enough to leave "trails" when discharging. Hope this was atleast some help.
  4. MileHigh

    MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,466

    65% Side Discharge
    35% Bagged

    Next year I will add mulch kits to my WB's
  5. Jmill88

    Jmill88 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 129

    How much(if any) do you charge to bag?
  6. MileHigh

    MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,466

    The only time I charge extra for bagging is if the customer asks for it. Otherwise, It'll either be included in my original quote if the lawn needs it, like lots of mulch beds that you dont want grass in or just a lawn that should be bagged.

    Most of the time I bag for my own benefit, sometimes it can save you time. If it's wet i bag it..unless it an "open" lawn.
  7. Jmill88

    Jmill88 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 129

    Thanks for your help. Just trying to get as much info. as possible.
  8. MnGreen

    MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 354

    Mulch 99% of time
    Any requests for bagging I wind row with the 52" and p/u with a 21" bag units.
    Only (1) account I need to do this. 1 1/2 acre mansion where owner wanted me to spend hours racing around with 21" mowers and three guys like his previous service company.
    Didn't tell me it needed to be bagged until after first time done. Waters grass daily and is @ 6" every week. Won't scale down the water cycles, crazy crazy crazy.
  9. mowerbrad

    mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 6,268

    I bag about 75% of my lawns. The other 25% are just discharged. Usually bagging including haul away is about $5 more than it would be if it were just discharged, it take time to unload, I can't do it for free. But people are more than willing to pay the extra $5.

    STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT
    Messages: 5,226

    usually discharge but if its real long i bag and i bag leaves

Share This Page