Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering cuz i see more ppl doing this see we bag about 90% of are yards. how well dose it get rid of the grass or does it leave alot?

· Registered
1,523 Posts
I've learned that bagging is the biggest waste of time. Keep your blades sharp, deck adjusted correctly, and the clippings aren't even visible. Now in spring, when its raining a lot, sometimes you have to bag, but I just try to double cut whenever necessary.

-Mitch-

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well see most of what we do is watered every day soo even cuting every week some places twice it can get an Inch or two high in a short time! Oo plus there fert very heavy.

· Registered
3,639 Posts
I only mulch or SD wide area's, the rest of my commercial & residential accounts are collected. I mulched for 2 years, their will always be "blow out" and "dumping" regardless of how sharp the blades are kept: blah, blah, blah:sleeping:

If you have the equipment Walker GHS, truck, and trailer to carry the equipment and grass clippings, then you decrease your total time spent at each account vs mulching: no double cutting, less blower time, and superior manicured look.

Some areas of the country charge to dispose of grass clippings; however here its free no matter the volume.

Weekly or biweekly accounts: with irrigation, and heavy fertilizer the rest of the country can be in a drought, and my customers yards are growing like crazy.

Biweekly customers: realized i can service those Customers who don't want their yards mowed every week, and while I was mulching required double cutting, added blower time etc. Those "long" biweekly" accounts require no extra time, and I keep my schedule on track.

Grass collection is not economical for all lawn care operators; furthermore grass collection ZTR sales remains a strong segment of the industry:laugh:

· Registered
256 Posts
I mulch most of my accounts(Zoysia is a tough one to keep mulched) and it looks great. It also saves me a ton of time. There will be spots that you have to go back with the blower and bust up clumps of grass, but to me its still worth the time savings, and beats dumping grass.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reson for asking all of this is because i like the idea of toro's new grandstand and they don't have alot of baging options for standers.

· Registered
3,009 Posts
I only mulch or SD wide area's, the rest of my commercial & residential accounts are collected. I mulched for 2 years, their will always be "blow out" and "dumping" regardless of how sharp the blades are kept: blah, blah, blah:sleeping:

If you have the equipment Walker GHS, truck, and trailer to carry the equipment and grass clippings, then you decrease your total time spent at each account vs mulching: no double cutting, less blower time, and superior manicured look.

Some areas of the country charge to dispose of grass clippings; however here its free no matter the volume.

Weekly or biweekly accounts: with irrigation, and heavy fertilizer the rest of the country can be in a drought, and my customers yards are growing like crazy.

Biweekly customers: realized i can service those Customers who don't want their yards mowed every week, and while I was mulching required double cutting, added blower time etc. Those "long" biweekly" accounts require no extra time, and I keep my schedule on track.

Grass collection is not economical for all lawn care operators; furthermore grass collection ZTR sales remains a strong segment of the industry:laugh:
When I bagged with my Walkers I charged quite a bit extra. Then as I got more acreage to mow I sold my Walkers and double cut everything. On the acreage I can do it much faster than bagging. But I aggree on the smaller lawns that are over watered and fertilized I like bagging better because it is more difficult to hide the clippings. But now I mulch everything and have only had a few jobs ask me about bagging and when I give them the price difference for me hauling the clippings off using a dumptruck in some cases they like the mulching idea better and better. There are very few circumstances where it pays better now to haul off clippings in my area. The time to haul them to the dump or the country is time I don't have so I made the switch. I hated having to sharpen my blades daily with Walkers too don't miss that little windrow I would get at certain times of the season with it either. If something is a little off on the Walker they won't cut clean in certain situations and double cutting while bagging is not good. But they have their niche in the market I used them for 10 yrs before I switched to Exmark and GHopper, and Hustler all mulching.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.