1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Mulching with Toro 21

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dishboy, Mar 28, 2005.

1. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Fanatic
    from zone 6

I tool the deflectors out of my Proline 21 last fall in a attempt to keep leaves under the deck while bagging with a high lift blade.

My question is should I leave them out for mulching spring growth? Any body have a opinion on which way mulches better, and which way leaves less stragglers or has a better finish cut? Cut height is 2.5 to 2.75 inches.

2. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I took the kicker plates out last Spring when I had to bag and the bagger was giving me fits -- too much growth, too sappy. I left them out, and when I did do some grass mulching with them later, I saw no difference, in or out. I don't like the result of the Toro Proline mulching much, so only do it when there isn't very much growth.

In other years, I was very pleased with the leaf mulching result. I did not put the kickers back in for leaves, and it still did as good (equal?) job. I don't intend to put them back.