• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

multi purpose vs. grapple bucket

hoyboy

LawnSite Senior Member
Buying a new skidsteer and am considering something other than a straight bucket. Anyone have experience with other kinds of buckets? I was reading a trade magazine a couple years ago and one person being interviewed said his company requires a _________ bucket because the efficiency was so much better. I can't remember if he said a multi purpose (4 in 1) bucket or a grapple bucket. Either way, I'd be interested in other opinions.

We do general landscaping, patios, etc.

thanks in advance...

Dan

Scag48

LawnSite Fanatic
A grapple bucket is a specialize tool used for handling brush, demo debris, etc. The bucket on the right is a grapple bucket, the one on the left is basically a root grapple bucket.

We have a combo (4 in 1) bucket for our skid steer, it's the only way to go. Sure they're quite a bit more expensive but you can do quite a bit more with them. Here's a picture of one from Skidsteersolutions.com

Dirt Digger2

LawnSite Silver Member
if your looking to maximize your material handling then stay with a GP...meaning if your going to be hauling sand or stone for longer distances across a jobsite...the MP buckets weigh more so thats their downside which causes you to not be able to comfertably move the same amount of material you could with a lighter GP bucket.

Scag48

LawnSite Fanatic
That's a good point as well, but it's never been an issue for me. One thing to consider is that if you're going to abuse a bucket, like handling lots of rock, concrete, etc.. be aware that you'll be beating up a fairly expensive bucket and unless the increase in production you get from the 4 in 1 covers the extra wear and tear that might occur in extreme conditions, you might better off with a GP. On the flipside, these buckets are every bit as tough as a GP in general tasks, so for landscaping tasks you're not going to ruin one very easily.

janb

LawnSite Senior Member
I like my 4 in 1 with a Rezloh edge.

a 4 in 1 is very versitile and tough to do without if you have a 'one-man' operation. They can clean-up with out dismounting a shoveling, + they have great grading advantages (metered depth, backgrading with clam open, smoothing forward w/ open...) plus the clamming operations (pulling fenceposts, placing rocks, grappling scrap iron / cement fence post stubs ...)

I got my 84" used from a Bobcat dealer for under $2000.

The industrial / demo / root grapple is a must for extensive clearing and irregular material handling. You can move a lot of trees / brush FAST with a grapple (~a bundle 4' dia x 30+ ft long). The 4 in 1 will cover a lot of this, but in smaller bites, and gravity / bouncing will cause trees bigger than 12" dia to drop out.

MarcSmith

LawnSite Fanatic
I got my grapple bucket from Quickattach. it compliments my smooth bucket nicely. Money well spent when it takes getting stuff into trucks or into dumpsters....