Multiple pre-emergents/ one app

johnsonslawnmanagement

LawnSite Senior Member
Switching things up this year with pre-emergents. Having trouble with late season breakthrough of crabgrass. Atrizine has been our primary pre both spring/ fall and has done well, minus the late season break. Was looking into Prodiamine but have read that it's not as good with broadleafs. Does anyone use 2 different pre's on one app or have a better suggestion/product? I am doing a spit app of Prodiamine but was unsure about the effectiveness on broadleaves.
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Dawg

LawnSite Gold Member
The best pre you can use on broadleaves is Gallery. I figure that your growing season is similar to mine so there is no way that a spring app of Atrazine or Simazine is going to last the entire Crabgrass time, probably just a couple of months at most. I like prodiamine in early spring [mid feb] followed by a early June treatment of pendi and a fall treatment of either prodiamine or simazine [this is for bermuda]. I just personally spray broadleaves in spring and fall and it generally keeps the pretty clean between sprayings.

OP
johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement

LawnSite Senior Member
Broadleaves aren't an issue and are easy to handle, I'm just trying not to solve one issue while creating another. I'm more concerned with crabgrass prevention, season long. A spilt app of Prodiamine may be what I go with. I have looked into pendulum aquacap as well
Posted via Mobile Device

Turfdoctor1

LawnSite Senior Member
The full rate of prodiamine is 1.5 lbs of product per acre, and is labeled for 8 months of crabgrass control.

that is your ticket for the crabgrass. But, you are right, it sucks for broadleaf prevention. If you spray simazine in the fall at the full rate, you can't spray again for 12 months. Otherwise I would definitely mix Simazine with my spring prodiamine.

OP
johnsonslawnmanagement

johnsonslawnmanagement

LawnSite Senior Member
Well with the recent removal of MSMA and high cost of Quinloric, I'm looking for the best crabgrass prevention possible: 2,4-D is cheap so I'd rather spray for broadleaves. What rate would you mix the two if using Simizine and Prodiamine in the spring? Atrazine is my fall app and always does super.
Posted via Mobile Device