Murphy USA

olebrooklawn

LawnSite Member
How good is there gas? I was there today and saw i could save 10 cents with a wal mart card. I just don't wanna do something to mess my mowers and handhelds up.

mowerbrad

LawnSite Fanatic
I bought their gas a couple of times a few years ago without any problems, but that was only a couple tanks worth of gas. I did buy their diesel quite often with my old truck though. No fuel related problems and I loved saving money with a walmart gift card, I think I only saved 3 cents or 5 cents a gallon with the gift card because it did fluctuate every now and then.

rreyn1812

LawnSite Senior Member
Use it all the time. Never had any problems.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
its walmart gas, does that tell u anything?

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member
its walmart gas, does that tell u anything?
Actually they just lease the space from Wal-Mart and in return pay rent with a % of the sales if I remember correctly. At one time Wal-Mart actually owned them but I believe they sold their % and agreed to lease space to them.

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member
Use it all the time. Never had any problems.
In your part of the country is there even another option? You are kind of in the heart of Wally World there aren't you?

MOturkey

LawnSite Silver Member
Do you guys actually believe there is any difference in gasoline, other than the fact that there are a few places you can still purchase non-ethanol premium? The only difference is the additive package, and I'm guessing there isn't much difference in that between one company and another.

I owned a C-store for several years, and changed "brands" two or three times. It was all on an allotment basis. My distributor agreed, for example, when I was Kerr-McGee to buy so many gallons of Kerr-McGee fuel per year. Well, he only had one other KM station, so if he needed to buy more than we used, he'd simply sell some to his other C-stores. Sometimes my invoice would say Kerr-McGee, sometimes Phillips, sometimes Conoco.

The most important factor is how fresh the fuel is, so buying from a huge retailer like Murphy pretty much guarantees that.

Also, the profit margin on fuel itself is extremely low. Many times c-stores actually lose money on regular grade gasoline if someone buys it with a credit card, especially if they are an independent. Unless the system has changed since I sold fuel, the mid-grade, and, especially, premium is much more profitable. Premium is usually 20 cents per gallon higher, at least, but probably ony wholesales for around 10 cents more.

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member
Do you guys actually believe there is any difference in gasoline, other than the fact that there are a few places you can still purchase non-ethanol premium? The only difference is the additive package, and I'm guessing there isn't much difference in that between one company and another.

I owned a C-store for several years, and changed "brands" two or three times. It was all on an allotment basis. My distributor agreed, for example, when I was Kerr-McGee to buy so many gallons of Kerr-McGee fuel per year. Well, he only had one other KM station, so if he needed to buy more than we used, he'd simply sell some to his other C-stores. Sometimes my invoice would say Kerr-McGee, sometimes Phillips, sometimes Conoco.

The most important factor is how fresh the fuel is, so buying from a huge retailer like Murphy pretty much guarantees that.

Also, the profit margin on fuel itself is extremely low. Many times c-stores actually lose money on regular grade gasoline if someone buys it with a credit card, especially if they are an independent. Unless the system has changed since I sold fuel, the mid-grade, and, especially, premium is much more profitable. Premium is usually 20 cents per gallon higher, at least, but probably ony wholesales for around 10 cents more.
It has been at least 8 years since I was in the retail game with WMT but I would say you are still correct in the margins part...I think that is why they turned it back over to Murphy and agreed to take a % of sales as it worked out in there favor, especially considering many/most Murphy's are simple in design and over limited drinks, cigs, tobacco, and very little chips.

How fresh the fuel would be my biggest concern too..even over the grade.....that is why I fuel daily for the mowers and 2 cycle....cost me more in time but the fuel is not sitting around forever in a jug getting stale...I think consumer reports has covered this same topic many many times yet people somehow think buying the premium they are doing such a better thing for themselves.

rreyn1812

LawnSite Senior Member
In your part of the country is there even another option? You are kind of in the heart of Wally World there aren't you?
Oh Yeah! Around the local Wal-Mart there are probably 7 different flavors of gasoline. I use Sinclair (no ethanol) for my mowers and especially their 89 for the handhelds, and different ones when getting to Wally's isn't convenient even for the $0.10/gal savings. We definitely are in the center of Wally's Universe though, but that works for me, and for a lot of others!!