Mushroom compost, seeding, and fertilizer?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by kcess, Aug 9, 2017.

1. kcess

kcess LawnSite Member

Hi all. Looking for info. I plan on aerating, topdressing with mushroom compost, and seeding. I have a soil test. Should I put the suggested lime and starter fertilizer in there too or just let the compost do it's thing and retest in spring? I appreciate your help.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Good question: which is most important: aerating, topdress? Lime? Starter fert? Power rake? Soil temp? Irrigation? Best seed? Right time of year?

Which should be doubled? Which can be omitted?

Experienced guys what is you advice?
    Well-trained young guys--what is your opinion?

3. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Senior Member

All of the types of preparation mentioned are good, but by far the most important thing to do is water your seeds and seedlings. It doesn’t matter what all you do before you seed if you don’t water after seeding.

I don’t seed other people’s lawns so I’m not going to tell anybody what they should do. I can tell you what has worked well for me though.

My soil passes all the soil tests so I don’t add any amendments. For a renovation, all I need to do is kill the old grass, scalp the lawn down to one inch in height, spread seed, starter fertilizer, cover it all with 1/8 inch of peat moss, and water it.

For overseeding I scalp the lawn down to one inch in height, spread seed, starter fertilizer, and water it. Then keep it mowed short for 2 to 4 weeks mowing every other day and slowly raising the height of cut as I go.

It’s a lot easier to keep it watered in the fall.

4. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Senior Member

Since nobody else has offered to help you with your question, maybe I can be of some help to you. Go ahead and use the starter fertilizer and the lime at time of seeding. Retesting in the spring would be a good way to find out if you are making any progress on the pH of your soil.

Here is some good information on when to lime:

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/lime-lawn-new-grass-seed-planted-56029.html

Mushroom compost can kill germinating seeeds. Here is some information on mushroom compost:

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/mushroom-compost-use-carefully