1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

Music?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Idealtim, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

How many people here listen to some type of music when there working. Head phones, ipods, radio earmuffs, c.d. players. I personally like the earmuffs put on over earbuds[Ipod]. Did you find one way working better than all others?

2. gmgg

gmgg LawnSite Member
    from Eden VT

I always listen to tunes while working. I find earbuds under the muffs to be uncomfortable, so a got some peltor "racetunes" muffs which have a plug in for your ipod or whatever (I use a Sirius S50) so you can get your music directly through the muffs.

3. kirk brown

kirk brown LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

sometimes i do (mp3)
    passes the time for sure

4. Fubba

Fubba LawnSite Senior Member

I bought some cheap muffs and wired up two headphone speakers and a jack for my ipod to plug up to.

5. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

THat's exactly what I do. My ear buds were falling out on me so much when I put the ear protection over that I ended buying new buds yesterday (going to try them today) that stick much farther in your ear. Panasonic.

I was looking all over for something like that but all I could find was ones with and attena that pick up radio.

I'm going to look for those suckers because I like to listen to brian tracy audio books over and over and over hoping some of it sticks.

6. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

ao safety work tunes at all times. I'd go nuts otherwise.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I've looked into headphones of some type but I don't currently have any. Only music I listen to is in the truck while trasveling from job to job!

8. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I got an mp3 player in the off-season, and intended to use it with my Stihl muffs over the earbuds. I learned a couple of things:
    1. I had a very hard time hearing the music from the earbuds, over the sounds of an Exmark Viking, Kohler 15hp, or a JD 717A with Kaw 19hp engine. The external sounds is just too much to get much of the sounds through the earbuds.
    2. I quickly got tired of fiddling with the player, wires, getting set up under the muffs, especially when the muffs get displaced after a hit with a branch. The trouble, even for hour long jobs, was too much for being worth it. When I get started working, I am focused on getting the job done, and cannot be much bothered with anything that takes time away for the task at hand.

In other words, for me, I have set aside the whole idea. Too much hassle, too much distraction for being as productive as possible.

9. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

lately I've been taking the Ipod with me when i can remember and god i hate it when i forget it! it does make the time fly and i work better too..

10. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

oh and i wear my ipod around my neck so if i need to change songs it only takes a second..