1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Must be seed in the fert?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by MowerMoney, Jul 19, 2006.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

One of my cranky ol' lady customers comes out as I'm finishing blowing the walkways today. I point out to her that ther is a lot of crabgrass in her lawn this year. She says, "That can only mean one thing, That there was crabgrass seed in the fertilizer that I put down this year." :dizzy: :confused:

This same lady watched me mow a few weeks ago but said nothing and didn't try to get my attention. When I was finished she says that she didn't think it really needed cutting so she wasn't going to pay for it.
    Trust me ....she paid...:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Last fall, same lady expected me to clean up 6" deep leaves for the price of a lawn cut. :realmad: When I didn't show up for 2 weeks she called, apologized and asked me to come clean up her yard and bill it seperately:laugh:

My vent for the day.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah I had a similar problem...

This lady referred a friend to me and of course, now she expected a discount but I didn't catch this bit until I arrived with the gear, ready to take care of light leaves... Still, an hour's worth, I figured 60 dollars, she plays me with that stupid 'oh but I refer you more business' and I said fine, 55 and she says 'all I got is 45...' (and from the tone of her voice, final offer, you know...)

I said ok, no problem (really I had no other choice other than pack up and leave at the cost of the trip, it is the better decision to take the small loss at this time)... But I remembered her for that... Next time she called, talks about can I come out and take care of her lawn 'like last time?' And I said NO, I will first have to take a look and give you an estimate. Well she didn't like that, she's like 'oh its really not bad' and I said 'ok then the estimate will likely be lower...' And back and forth and hem and haw and see saw and the way I saw it, we failed to reach an agreement.

But she still thought I was coming out, it floored her and the half dozen or so friends that I could just drop someone on a dime, but I put my foot down and draw the line, you cross it and we are done.