• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

must read and help a brother out!!!

chooseMLS

LawnSite Member
I'm in a pickle. I have ran a landscape company for 10 yrs this june. I have always did landscaping installs, hydroseeding, grading, irrigation. This past year ( 09) I stated to mow. I started mowing because the contracts that I installed for required me to have a year maintance contract. So this is what I did, I had a Walk behind JD and then spring 09 I bought a zero turn. I have 5 commerical accounts. I want to add more. I have 3 residentals that I can pick up because of my dads friends. I want to put out a letter that is like a friend & family letter. " since we are serving your friends and Neighbors we would like to offer a savings for your 2010 lawn season" What kind of discounts do you offer on a 1 yr contract? I think that we will cut 32 times. I was thinking about offering a free irrigation start up for people that sign a 1yr.if the have one. Should I offer any other discounts on the mowing? ie, 2 weeks free? What does your spring/fall clean up run? I know irrigation prices,and the other aspects of my business. Just need alittle help.

AndyTblc

LawnSite Fanatic
I didn't even read the whole thing and the word "free" caught my eye. Do not offer anything for free, you get nothing from it. Maybe offer a thing where if they get you a new account and they sign up for a year, then maybe offer $5 off the bill for every account they get you.
As for prices, out what the "norm" is in your area. In my area, is X amount and if you go 20 miles north, then it's triple that price.

360ci

LawnSite Bronze Member
I agree. Don't sell yourself short. I offer Legion member and senior discounts. Both of which I check ID, I no longer take peoples word for it as I dropped one of my accounts mid year, as a 72 year old man lied to me about being a veteran - bad enough that his own wife told me. Anyway, a referral fee is the best you can get. Use 'free' word of mouth advertising to your advantage!

CircleC

LawnSite Senior Member
If you have done landscape installs for the past 10 years (i'm assuming in the same city) you must have a book of names and numbers like no other. If you went down the list and called every single one of them I'm sure you could have 100 lawns a week in no time. People you will have as long as you take care of them. Forget chasing the discount crowd....they will shop you every year for a better price! I dont offer any discounts, I dont want to sell on the discount but I want to sell the service.

Hit all your old landscape installs.....