My 11 tips for starting/running your business.

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
I am wondering, when a customer straight up asks what you bill per hour do you tell them? Was looking over a large job today and the guys dad who used to be a landscaper was asking all these questions. He asked what we base our rates at and I said $60/hr, he said even for untrained labourers? I tell him well all work is quality controlled by us at the moment.

He said you must be rich, I then told him I made $37,000 last year. He seemed to think it was crazy but I told him our quotes will be in line with whatever the other quotes come up with.

Sometimes I answer and sometimes I say forget about it and just look at the total price, people don't realize how much can actually be done in an hour

Todd73

LawnSite Silver Member
I am wondering, when a customer straight up asks what you bill per hour do you tell them? Was looking over a large job today and the guys dad who used to be a landscaper was asking all these questions. He asked what we base our rates at and I said $60/hr, he said even for untrained labourers? I tell him well all work is quality controlled by us at the moment.

He said you must be rich, I then told him I made $37,000 last year. He seemed to think it was crazy but I told him our quotes will be in line with whatever the other quotes come up with.

Sometimes I answer and sometimes I say forget about it and just look at the total price, people don't realize how much can actually be done in an hour

I never, ever tell people my hourly, not that many have asked. I live on the Space Coast of Florida. Lots of engineers and tech people. No way they’re going to pay a lawn guy the same or more than they make an hour. Then, throw in the retireees on a fixed income, just to make it interesting. They might keel over if they heard an hourly number. I just give the price of the completed job.

JFGLN

LawnSite Fanatic
I never, ever tell people my hourly, not that many have asked. I live on the Space Coast of Florida. Lots of engineers and tech people. No way they’re going to pay a lawn guy the same or more than they make an hour. Then, throw in the retireees on a fixed income, just to make it interesting. They might keel over if they heard an hourly number. I just give the price of the completed job.

I stopped disclosing my hourly rates as well. Now I bid everything. The upside is more profit. Not much downside. You get better at bidding as you go and even on a bad day you might just break even.

LogansLawnCare

LawnSite Member
Yeah we learned early on not to give hourly quotes, we quote the job and that's that. People have a tough time paying $60+ an hour for landscape work when they find out thats what we charge. But the reality is when we show up to you house or business with 50k plus worth of equipment we have to pay for it out of our hourly rate.

Last edited:

Mitty87

LawnSite Silver Member
Not quoting by the hours but some people just ask what hourly rate you use to come with with quotes. I don't want to explain to them why it is what it is so usually just tell them lately. That or something like "it will depend on a lot of factors"

Top Forums