1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

My 1st hardscape job

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by BMWNJ, Feb 13, 2019.

1. BMWNJ

BMWNJ LawnSite Member

I'm looking forward to starting my 1st hardscape job in a few weeks once the weather breaks.

A family member is hiring me to demo a dry stacked slate foundation garden bed (about 6-8" high) and replace it with retaining wall block 3 courses high. In total it's about a 75' run with some curves. Being solo I'm not sure how long it's going to take to complete but I'll be keeping detailed records of my time to keep on had for quoting future jobs.

I like the idea of getting into small hardscape jobs to extend the portfolio. I have garden design and installation experience but never messed with laying pavers or building retaining walls.

Any tips from the pros?

2. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

rent a mini excavator and call julie before you dig. a 2' trench 75' long is a lot of digging with a shovel.

hort101 and BMWNJ like this.
  3. LawnVeteran

LawnVeteran LawnSite Senior Member

Also, renting a dingo may help if you have some narrow spaces. Makes life easier for the backfill and dirt work. Be sure your base is set perfectly. It’s not a massive wall so you should fair pretty well solo.

hort101 and BMWNJ like this.
  4. jetson

jetson LawnSite Member

Hire someone to help you. Sounds silly but even small retaining walls are time consuming.

5. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

Especially on a long wall with no heavy equipment to carry blocks.

Rent a dingo with a bucket. Throw blocks into bucket and take them where you need them.

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno. If you’re not equipment savoy, if you’re not versed in construction, then what makes you feel you should do it?

7. OP
    OP
    BMWNJ

BMWNJ LawnSite Member

Who said I wasn't equipment savoy or versed in construction? I owned a small farm prior to starting my landscape business. I've used and worked on all types of equipment.

JLSLLC likes this.
  8. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Did anyone read the original post? I don't understand why anyone would suggest renting a piece of equipment for 75' linear feet of 3 courses of blocks for what sounds like a raised planter bed. These are probably 4" high x 12" long stackable concrete pieces with a lip on the back edge. This is replacing a 6" to 8" high dry stack. The excavation is almost done when he picks up the old stones.

9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

I been participating in online industry forums for about 18 plus years now. An observation I’ve made is that people that know equipment, or know construction, usually have no need to ask. Good luck to you.

10. OP
    OP
    BMWNJ

BMWNJ LawnSite Member

I was asking for tips/trick on doing it solo and if anyone had done a similar project and how long it took them. It's a small hardscape project that I have no worries about constructing and doing a great job on it.

Maybe you being someone with all this experience could of offer a tip or 2 instead of saying maybe I shouldn't do this small project lol. Thanks anyway.