Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I went to mow a one acre yard that had not been mowed in 13 days, all bahai and all over knee high. I had taken the muclh kit off the 737 and installed razor sharp medim lift blades. The exmark also had brand new blades. I started with the exmark and it left stalks, a lot of them. After having to double cut the front yard I said the heck with this. I got on the 737 and mowed and there was not one stalk missed. I will say that on short thick grass like St. Aug., centipede or bermuda the lazer z leaves an excellent "clean shaven look" and the 737 is a little more ragged looking. It just depends on what part of the country you are in what machine works best for you. I still will take a JD z-trac over anything I have used so far. Alright, all you Exmark fans, Im ready for the heat! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been happy with my 737 overall, however, one problem I am having is cutting buckhorn. In this area of the world, when the weather turns hot & dry, buckhorn seems to grow better than anything else. When I cut a yard with heavy buckhorn, (most of them) I almost have to double cut to get it all. Apparently a lot of the buckhorn lays over when the deck contacts it, & then stands up again after the deck passes over it. I am using OEM high lift blades, & don't have a clue why they are not cutting clean. I slow down almost to walk behind speed, but when I think I am finished, I look back & find buckhorn stems standing over most of the yards. Could this be related to John Deeres slow blade speed? They have the slowest blade speed of all the major ZTR's I looked at. Any ideas??
bigcutup

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
ALarsh said:
Why 2 Z's when your solo?
I would imagine for a back up or incase he ever needs to hire a helper. I have 2 ztrs and I'm solo. Its nice to have extra equipment of something you depend so much on to make your living. Down time can be a killer in this business.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ALarsh said:
Why 2 Z's when your solo?
ALarsh, at one time I had a lot more accounts than I have now. I would use one to mulch with and the other to bag/throw the clippings, and I also had a helper at one time. Also I have been caught a few times without a mower and no mower means no money. I put the lazer up for sale recently because of lost accounts along with my truck.

·
Registered
11,163 Posts
QualityLawnCare4u said:
Yesterday I went to mow a one acre yard that had not been mowed in 13 days, all bahai and all over knee high. I had taken the muclh kit off the 737 and installed razor sharp medim lift blades. The exmark also had brand new blades. I started with the exmark and it left stalks, a lot of them. After having to double cut the front yard I said the heck with this. I got on the 737 and mowed and there was not one stalk missed. I will say that on short thick grass like St. Aug., centipede or bermuda the lazer z leaves an excellent "clean shaven look" and the 737 is a little more ragged looking. It just depends on what part of the country you are in what machine works best for you. I still will take a JD z-trac over anything I have used so far. Alright, all you Exmark fans, Im ready for the heat! :D
Boy that was well said and spoken like a truely honest eXmark owner.

I personally feel sorta glad and sorta bad at the same time that I ever "spoke out" on this in the first place. I feel glad because it seems to have cleared the way for discussion on this. But on the other hand it seems like it has "opened a vein" if you know what I mean.

The point being I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong impression that they are not great machines, because they are one fine machine. They are one of the best machines out there, and the are the best machines for many, but not the best choice for everyone.

I would say that my previous statements mirror your statements here 100%. The eXmark leaves an excellent cut on excellent turf. But the tall tough stemy stuff is like their kryptonite...

As far as John Deere goes, I won't go into that again here because I think the shortcomings I experienced with the demo are strictly related to geograhical conditions differences... and that's an entirely different thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.