My biggest challenge in my business....

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by guitarman2420, Oct 3, 2019.

1. guitarman2420

guitarman2420 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Midlothian, VA

I’m trying to do a bit of research. I know that this has been done before; but, here in 2019, with our present governmental, financial, and social issues that we face day today, what are your five greatest challenges in operating a business?

For me,

1. Employee acquisition and keeping good talent.
    2. Government involvement in pesticides, wages, insurance, you name it
    3. Client acquisition methods
    4. Cost containment
    5. Burnout

Your help would be appreciated!

2. andersman02

andersman02 LawnSite Senior Member

For us, employees are #1. Hard to find guys that dont want a crazy amount of $$ upfront before proving themselves at all. Seems all new employees care about is the upfront hourly rate, which we do not pay (we pay salary + commision). Even though they will make more then what they are asking for after a few weeks.

3. OP
    OP
    guitarman2420

4. OP
    OP
    guitarman2420

Yes, I love it when they complain about what you’re paying them, especially in a hot or dry month where you don’t pay yourself a thing, but they still get their check

5. CGros31

CGros31 LawnSite Senior Member

I only have one employee, but that is always the biggest challenge.

6. OP
    OP
    guitarman2420

Thanks. I could use some more replies!

7. CrystalCreek

CrystalCreek LawnSite Bronze Member

For me this year and every year at this point, its burnout. I need the fall to come. The summer heat killed me this year along with the work load and weather. Other then that, I do look forward to the fall and cooler weather. I also like the fall the best as customers seem to cool off as well.

8. jonthepain

jonthepain LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Raleigh

1. A/R
    2. Scheduling - in the spring, when we are still accepting new customers

9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

The drought. It's wreaked havoc to my schedule, all turf, and all plants. The next issue at a very close second place is like our other posters here: hard to attain good help. Third, clients who don't pay for services rendered.

10. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

For me #1 is #1. #2 is what it is I just go with the flow because not too much I can do about it and if I can't change it I do not let it bother me . . Not sure how I accomplish that but it goes back to my mother telling me as I was just a youngun if you can't change it don't worry about it. #3 low on the list we have a pretty good system in place. #4 always trying to cut costs, try new things some work done don't. I cheaped out on 2 cycle oil for a few years saving about $400 a year only to find it was killing all my handhelds. Carbon build up was rediculous having to clean out exhaust ports every other week the time killed me.
    #5 yes but I think every business owner goes through this. I keep my focus on the long term.

Last few years I've had truck expenses out the yin yang. But I've spent so much I think I'm too far in to sell and buy new. I really enjoy having no truck payments. Both trucks are mine.

Tara Ann likes this.