• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

My business isn’t showing up on google?

Nic1295

LawnSite Member
I’ve had my business on google for a couple weeks now but no matter what I search it doesn’t show up on google for the service I search and my area. It only shows when I search Lawn care (my town) but no one would search that they would search Lawn mowing. For example Lawn mowing (town) etc. I have a website and photos and lots of details so I don’t understand why it’s not showing anywhere. Business without a website are shown but not mine.
Thanks

A couple things:

1) It Google isn't going to place your business in the 3-pack or even in the local listing right away. Sometimes it's up there in a couple of weeks, sometimes it can take a month.

2) Google uses your website to rank you in Google Businesses. If your website isn't optimized for the keywords you're trying to rank for, you won't show up. Especially if your market is competitive.

3) Having a website with photos doesn't mean they're optimized.

4) A business can show up on Google without a website for a number of reasons. Including string signals from other sites like Facebook or another directory website. Additionally, one of the highest ranking factors is receiving consistent and quality reviews. Something a business can do without a website..

5) How do you know no one is searching for lawn care? Are you watching Google Search Console or doing keyword research in the Ad Planner in Google Ads for your area?

What we have found is that no one searches for specific services. The search queries are overwhelmingly general. I.e. most people ARE searching for "lawn care" and not "lawn mowing".

PlantHappiness

LawnSite Member
I’ve had my business on google for a couple weeks now but no matter what I search it doesn’t show up on google for the service I search and my area. It only shows when I search Lawn care (my town) but no one would search that they would search Lawn mowing. For example Lawn mowing (town) etc. I have a website and photos and lots of details so I don’t understand why it’s not showing anywhere. Business without a website are shown but not mine.
Thanks
Hi! Having a website is like having the team and uniforms, but now you need to play ball! By that I mean, you need to do search engine optimization. That includes many things such as doing a gap analysis to find out what keywords your competition is ranking with and which ones you will most easily get to the first page of Google searches with. You'll want to make sure to optimize your website content with the keywords you decide on. This is really best left to experts.

Also, it is very important to build citations (kinda like a "profile") on all of the various platforms such as Bing, Duck Duck Go, Yahoo, and all of the industry-specific ones as well, such as Angie's List, etc. These citations will strengthen the "authority" of your website in Google's eyes and help you rank higher.

You also need to claim, verify, and optimize your Google listing with all of the information, photos, videos, etc. you can, as well as posting to it regularly.

Someone else mentioned posting regularly to Facebook, and that's right, only posting to 3-6 platforms is even better. (I do this for people.)

Also, you do want to gather those reviews from everyone you serve, and there are some easy ways to do that.

Finally, while you are working on ranking your website organically, you might want to invest in Google Ads. Once again, it's worth paying experts who know how to do the research and get the most for your ad spend.

Hope this helps!

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
SEO SEO SEO

Chance Morrison

LawnSite Member
It could take a couple of months for your site to show. And depending on the density of your competition, you may be 8 or 10 pages down from the top. Did you create a Google My Business listing and verify it? Worth doing. And have it link to your website. And do a Bing profile too. It's free.