Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information on my latest acquisition.

A Pennsylvania Avalon 18" push mower, probably from the 1950's.

I searched Google and ebay with only hits from the early 1920's for the company "Pennsylvania"

I am interested in the history and origin of this unique mower...as well as if it is worth anything?

There is no tags indicating who manufactured the engine, the engine has a oil filter style air filter? The deck is similar to a staggered wheel lawn boy. The name "Pennsylvania" is embossed in raised latters protruding from the deck, with "Avalon" painted below it.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

· Registered
93 Posts
Toroguy,
Is the motor a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke? Is the air fliter that you described at the rear of the motor at the back of the mower? This sounds like a Lawn Boy mower that was nicknamed the "buttercup" 18" with a 1.5 hp 2 stroke motor. At one time Lawn Boy did some private labeling and sold products to some Mass merchants and compeditors. Let me know and I will try to help you with your search.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Buba,

The engine is four stroke. was originally painted white. Engine is mounted oddly...the spark plug points toward the left rear wheel, the air filter is located pointing toward the right rear wheel.

Serial number stamped on engine 92502 0707 01 8901131

Engine Model info destroyed when previous owner painted top of engine with black paint.

Thanks

· Registered
15,227 Posts
I can't tell you about the mower but the engine appears to be a "newer" Briggs and Stratton, probably a 1959 year engine.

Can you sand the engine numbers a little and make sure that is what they are? In particular the last set of digits. They make no sense according to the Briggs and Stratton numbering system.

The first set of digits identifies the engine as 9 cubic inch, basic design series 2, mechanical governor, plain bearing with a rewind starter.

The second set of digits (0707-01) tells some of the characteristics of the engine like OEM and paint color.

The last set of digits tells when the engine was made and where. The set of digits you have there indicates that the engine was built on January 13, 1989. Is it possible that the 8 is really a 5. That would indicate a build date of January 13, 1959.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Richard,

I did some sanding and the last set of numbers looks like 6901131, so then it would be a 1969? I also thought it looked like a late 50's early 60's. The deck is a 1/4" thick. I think by '69 things became cheaper and lighter?

· Registered
5,332 Posts
It looks like it has plastic wheels. If they are original, that could help with dating it. I do not remember any push mowers with plastic wheels in the 50's. I think most everyone used metal wheels back then. Plastic wheels made their appearance in the mid to late 60's, I think. :)

· Registered
719 Posts
thats a pretty neat looking old mower. i recently acquired an old push reel mower made by the american lawn mower co. it has wooden handles, a wooden roller depth gage and firestone rubber wheels. i'm figuring it to be about mid 1930's . i've often wondered why lawnsite doesn't have a regular forum for antique and classic equipment . i would think theres alot of us that collect the old pieces when we find them. it would be a good place to share photos and identification tips.

· Registered
173 Posts
Vintage 1958 or around there. Feeble attempt by Pennsylvannia mower to go from reel to rotary. The design flaw for the commercial market was that the operators would bang the front edge against a wall or fence and the front edge would break off exposing the blade. Also when you were going along a flower bed and overhanged the unit along the edge of the bed, the angle on the handle would snap. These were the days before god invented the weed wacker(BWW). LawnBoy had a smaller deck that was very good but had a lousy 2 cycle engine that spent more time in the shop than cutting grass. Problem being that only LawnBoy engines at that time would only fit that deck at that time. Your mower has a later style engine on it and that is why the weird alinement. My memory is a little cloudy but I think Pennsylvania was the first manufacturer to offer the Briggs windup starter on that mower. I would contact RJ Power at 610-446-2392. They were the distributor for them and they might have some literature around. They were called Jones Mower back then.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks gentlemen,

So it is most likely the engine has been swapped...thats kind of jolly.

I also wondered about the plastic wheels?

I found an old briggs promotion brochure on ebay for the year 1957. I couldn't see the engine in the photo, but the mower had goofy handles like mine, not exactly, but weirdly similar.

So now I need the original engine, original wheels, paint, a place to store this, brochures to frame, an original 18" blade, some Zantac(?) for my heartburn...it will be fun.

I will copy the number for RJ Power, thanks.

An old mower forum is a good idea, even if your not in the green industry, mowers are a part of the good life. A book like they have for old automobiles featuring mowers would be nice.

· Banned
822 Posts
Just an observation.... Is that mower parked on your wifes burber carpet? I would be sleeping on top of that mower if I put it in the house. Maybe it is on a scrap. Anyway, way cool mower. Good luck.:)

· Registered
15,227 Posts
Originally posted by Toroguy
Thanks Richard,

I did some sanding and the last set of numbers looks like 6901131, so then it would be a 1969? I also thought it looked like a late 50's early 60's. The deck is a 1/4" thick. I think by '69 things became cheaper and lighter?
Yes, it would be a 1969. It is possible that you could still get an aluminum deck mower in the late 60s. If you could find an old Sears Robuck catalog from then you would see that they sold them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.