1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

My competition calls with major problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Mdirrigation, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Gold Member

I know the owner ,we are cordial to each other . He calls and asks for some help . In the beginning of November all 3 of his guys bail on him . They have struck out on their own , going after his work . He is 3 weeks behind on blow outs . He has called all his customers and explained and they are getting anxious . He needs my help . He made an offer to split 50/50 on the blowouts ( my truck and compressor ) which I told him no . He is so spread out around the state too much windshield time . I countered with $150 an hour and keep me on the close and tight areas ( double for weekends) . So he now tells me that he wont be making any money at that rate , I explain to him that he will lose the customers to his old guys AND wont be making any money if he doesnt get the jobs done . I tell him I will finish 99% of mine by this weekend , if he is interested call me by Sunday .

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

sounds like you are a jerk. :laugh:

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

You always seem to have some kind of drama going on. I have a bil like that and that's fine but I'm too laid back and would rather spend time with people I like.

4. magna111

magna111 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Sounds about reasonable to me. How many blowouts does he have left? I didn't think there were any days in the 10 day that looked too threatening.

5. Mdirrigation

Life is always drama . I tend to be laid back myself .

larryinalabama likes this.
  6. Mdirrigation

Why would I be a jerk , If I decide to do this , I am saving his butt and making my average for the day . If I or someone else doesnt help him , he will lose the customers

7. Mdirrigation

He said he has close to 300 left .

8. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

Your offer seems reasonable. If the guy made nothing on the blowouts others do he is still better off than losing the accounts.

9. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Senior Member

You do come off as rather aggressive and competitive with little empathy, but having your whole shop walk out on you sets off alarms. I'm betting the guy begging for help is a much bigger jerk! :laugh:

Considering the circumstances I don't think it's a bad deal at all. You're at least offering him the chance to start over again and not be such a horrible boss that all his employees quit at once.

Mark Stark likes this.
  10. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

The question is raised why would all employee's walk out to begin with?

Considering what's at stake and to ponder what happened to begin with I think you are more then fair. You are saving him for the winter which gives him time to setup himself for the spring.