1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

My crape myrtle seeds have sprouted!!

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by dKoester, Jan 17, 2007.

1. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

This winter I wanted to find a new way to make some serious money. So I went and got some crape myrtle seeds from my brothers tree. I got like thousands of seeds. I sprouted them in a paper towel, potted them up like I do my boxwoods and they sprouted out of the dirt. How long will it take them to get to be 4' tall? And how tall will they be on average after 1 full year?

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Jusdging by how fast they sprout out new growth each year, you should see four feet in a year or two....I hope youre not trying to make any money on them crepes are soooooo cheap I can get a 3-5 gallon crepe of a known variety for less than 20 bucks.....

I've even though of building a greenhouse on the back patio just for S&G, for that kind of thing, but i figured I could find better things to waste my money on....

I had a red maple wing that sprouted in my yard in the spring and by the end of the summer it was 2 feet tall. I was going to "bonsai" it, but it died on me after I started pruning it....oh well...It could have been the fact that I started keeping it in the office....

3. dKoester

I have thousands of these little things. My pots are wholesale. I can buy crapes in my wholesale nursery cheap too. I've decided to grow these to 6' tall to make more money. I work for a lady who paid 300 dollars for one that was about 4 inches in diameter.

4. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

The bigger they are the more profit you make. Putting them in grow bags in the ground sounds like an efficient way to get them big w/o using a tree spade. I think crepes are one of the fasting selling items in the summer. Tree farms around here sell out of certain colors each summer.

5. dKoester

Yeah, I love em. I just never tried mass producing them. One of them has started growing its second pair of leaves. Very excited!

6. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Do you have a mat set-up? I am going to grow some Nellies, Savannahs, magnolias, and maybe some crapes from 4" liners. I want to get them up to 3 gallons and then stick them in the ground or maybe grow bags. If I wasn't so busy I would already have them on the mat.