My customers Paver patio Heaved!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by gofastjd, Nov 27, 2018.

1. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

It looks to me like things are pulling away from the house, including the short brick wall in the last photo. I wonder if the post with the drain spout is still vertical. You may want to check all the other things that are supposed to be vertical. If the house is situated on a hill, things could be slipping away from the house.

2. giantlandscape.com

giantlandscape.com LawnSite Member

I do pavers in Oklahoma City area and I am wondering if you have a saturated base from osmotic water moving from a hill above the paver job you did into your base. I also do drains and I've seen lots of patios after removed are basically floating on top of a jello like base. And these bases were done correctly. I suggest you pull some of those pavers and see if it's jello under there. That wouldn't be your problem. To correct a jello base youll need a french drain on the outside edge of your pavers to intercept the water. There are other causes of a jello base, such as a broken sprinkler pipe, or a slab leak.

DXN1EL, wishfull and hort101 like this.
  3. giantlandscape.com

giantlandscape.com LawnSite Member

BTW most foundation problems are caused by water problems, so that's why I brought up the idea.

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Fanatic

do they have a pressurized sewer system? water line coming in there somewhere?

5. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have a line in your contract about "unforeseen circumstances or events, acts of nature ect"

This is something that would fall under "unforeseen circumstances" and they should help pay for the repair.

6. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

The pictures do not look like “heaving”.

It looks like improper edge restraint installation. Case closed.

All these replies and no one can’t see its sliding away?

DXN1EL, Mark Oomkes and Mdirrigation like this.
  7. brichter14

brichter14 LawnSite Bronze Member

How would it slide away with a post in the middle of it? If it is it’s not an edge restraint issue.

8. DVS Hardscaper

Study the picture more closely. The gap narrows drastically at the post. Take a look again.

I can not tell you how many pavers jobs are out there with improper edge restraint installation. The edge restraint MUST be sitting on no less than 6-inches of shoulder width.

Back when we did hardscapes, proper edge restraint methods was a major part of my sales presentation, complete with photos.

This problem is subsequent of improper edge restraint preperation and installation.

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

"back when we did hardscapes"? what do you do now, petunias?

RE above... Thats why I always say OVER excavate, make a pad at least 20% bigger than your patio.

10. DVS Hardscaper

if You go to any of our paver jobs, and shovel up the soil around the outer perimeters, you’ll hit a solid aggregate base. The outer gravel perimeters of our paver jobs are as solid as the inner portions of our jobs. This takes a cognizant effort.

Mdirrigation and Mark Stark like this.