My customers Paver patio Heaved!

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by gofastjd, Nov 27, 2018.

1. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Haven’t been a hardscape company since like 2011, low margins, and it requires too many crews for an owner to make a solid living. Since then, we only do hardscpe work for previous clients or new clients.

Mdirrigation likes this.
  2. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

From someone who doesn't do hardacape at all but happens to be a self proclaimed physics nut, and yeah took quite a few physics classes along the way... Pic #5 of the op does look like a slide away to the outside. Otherwise you could never get those angles of space from that piece of three "tiles" in the fifth picture roughly in the middle of the pic. That's definitely a sheering away to the outside to get those angles. My 2 cents. Again not a hardacape guy just looking at the angles.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Been a long week here. 1st time in a while that we worked a full week (the rains have been hindering production), so I’m mentally exhausted. But the way I’m think of this is along the line of physics, too.

See, when a segmental retaining Wall fails, due to hydrostatic pressure - it “rotates” forward. Meaning the wall actually rolls like a ball, until it reaches a certain extent.

And What I’m seeIng in the pictures reminds me of a failed retaining wall.

hort101 likes this.
  4. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

Factually I was the first to suggest that it was slipping away from the house in post number 11. If you want to say that as well, at least I'll have company if I'm wrong.

hort101, DXN1EL, kemco and 1 other person like this.
  5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

So you do hardscape if it’s part of other landscape projects?
    I’m confused by your response

6. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

It looks to me like the soldier course is now pitched towards the house which opened up the crack that is now visible. Water is now getting into that crack and freezing causing it to open more every time there is a freeze thaw cycle. I don't think it is a edge restraint problem, I think the house is still settling. Either way it is now your problem and I think you should fix this on your dime. This is your reputation on the line. It looks like you used polymeric sand and it is going to be a ***** to clean the brick and get it back together and looking nice. I would explain to the homeowner That you are going to take care of it and hopefully after tearing into it you will have some more insight but if the problem continues the problem is with the house and this specific situation and you installed the pavers according local building and ICPI standards.

7. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Bronze Member

After taking a closer look at the post with the downspout, it looks like the post is trying to prevent the pavers behind it from moving, but the pavers in front of it are moving away from the post. That would suggest that the pavers are sliding away from the house and the post may still be vertical. If the post is also moving away from the house and is no longer vertical there are likely to be some very serious problems with the soil stability on that lot.

The fact that the whole home had to be "piered" to prevent it from moving also suggests serious problems with soil stability.

It's too bad that you now find yourself in this situation, I feel for you. I would recommend you do what the engineer suggested then remove yourself from this problem as best you can.

hort101, Doc8406 and sjessen like this.
  8. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

just look at the brick wall cracken and you know theres huge problems . the pavers sliding out away from home because of any insufficient bordering would not cause the wall to crack ! theres a big issue there and trying to fix this patio now would be very foolish

knox gsl likes this.
  9. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Silver Member

Pretty sure he does excavation type work like filling in pools

10. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

This is what happens when you use magnetized bricks and put the same poles next to each other... simple science Watson

Lol

rlitman, BrandonV and sjessen like this.