My Exmark is killing me!!!

Cowboy Cut Lawncare

LawnSite Member
Im in southwest Missouri and the morning dew,actually until about 1:00 pm is super heavy.My Exmark Lazer X does not like it at all,nothing but clumps everywhere.Sharp blades,deck set right,OEM blades.Any suggestions?

Andrew H

LawnSite Gold Member
Im in southwest Missouri and the morning dew,actually until about 1:00 pm is super heavy.My Exmark Lazer X does not like it at all,nothing but clumps everywhere.Sharp blades,deck set right,OEM blades.Any suggestions?
If you have wide open properties, and another mower.
You can pull a heavy rope behind the the mower and that’ll remove much of the dew.
They’ve been doing this at golf course for years.

Jashley73

LawnSite Member
I've actually mowed in the heavy rain several times with my mower this year. It's an X-series with an UltraCut-6 deck, and haven't really had any issues. I have seen some buildup in the deck, but not clumps being discharged.

I wouldn't call my blades hi-lift by any means. Are you using hi-lift blades? If so, switch to something with lower lift, or maybe Gator Blades?

Mac-s Lawn & Snow

LawnSite Bronze Member
It would help to know which series deck and the size but the 48's will ultraclump in your circumstance. Daily deck cleanings are a must in these conditions. I identify areas with long grass make a pass with the deck at a taller height first. Once you start clumping and packing the deck its hard to stop.

OP
C

Cowboy Cut Lawncare

LawnSite Member
It would help to know which series deck and the size but the 48's will ultraclump in your circumstance. Daily deck cleanings are a must in these conditions. I identify areas with long grass make a pass with the deck at a taller height first. Once you start clumping and packing the deck its hard to stop.
I have the ultracut 6 series 60",i clean the deck at least 3 times a day.

Jashley73

LawnSite Member
I have the ultracut 6 series 60",i clean the deck at least 3 times a day.

What blades are you using? High lifts? If so, maybe switch to something with a lower lift.

In fact, on a slightly unrelated issue, I'm about to switch to Gator blades on mine to see if it offers any improvement in 1-pass cutting. (Maybe, maybe not, but I have them, so it will be quick to try it...)

Try xblade setup to see if it helps.

No. Do not double-blade on an Ultra-Cut 6 deck. Link to my recent thread about this where I tried it. Start on page 4, post #32. Total waste, although hopefully someone will avoid the frustration after my experience.

Help - My eXmark cut quality stinks... | Page 4 | LawnSite™ is the largest and most active online forum serving green industry professionals.

Top Forums