1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

My experience with Stinger equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chris19883190, Nov 6, 2019.

1. OP
    OP
    Chris19883190

Chris19883190 LawnSite Member
    from NC

Not quite but close. A couple things... I did pinpoint where the noise was coming from - you cant miss it. When I told dustin I was out I meant that i was out clean from that particular machine, at that point I had expected maybe yall would expedite a new one to me or at the very least apologize but I got nothing. Dustin unfortunately did not find me a service center thats simply untrue.
    Yes, I did tell him it was a great machine while it worked - but that doesnt matter if it only makes it 10 hrs. What good is a $13k productive machine if you cant use it?
    In short, you sold a machine that self destructed in 10 hrs. Then did attempt to make it right or apologize. Then lied and said it was cavitation when the machine is still sitting at site one (back in its crate) where your engineers couldnt get their hands on it to confirm. How could you possibly sit here and turn this around to put it back on me. You cant weasel your way out like that. Stand behind Your product.

2. Stinger Equipment

Stinger Equipment Sponsor

How did we not stand behind the product...full refund, we now have a service center, and we will let you know what it was when we get it back.

I just have a serious problem when you say we abandoned you and don't stand behind the product which is completely untrue. When someone makes the statement I'm done....that's how we take it.

All things do break....I haven't found a perfect product or company who makes them.

The cavitation was and educated guess based of more than 650 units in the field in the last 18 months and working with those customers when they call up with an issue or question. When they make noises it's a bearing or cavitation from a leaking air filter that has come loose...this happens when the unit is brand new...bearing maybe with 200+ hours. Your not at 200+ hours so history says the odds are air leaking past the filter....it could be something else but that doesn't matter except you keep bringing up how we can diagnose something without looking at it. Symptoms and product history have a ton to do with it.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    TPendagast and ed2hess like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Chris19883190

Chris19883190 LawnSite Member
    from NC

Fair enough, in the heat of the moment out of frustration i said "I'm out". At this point its in your hands to reply, whether its an apology or sending a new unit out asap. I was still way behind on jobs and could have used something but I will say I should have clarified. Poor choice of action to simply not say a word though.
    No, nobody can achieve perfection but its more about how you handle and react to situations than getting the thing perfect.
    And then you take this opportunity to get on here hyping up your mobile app that has nothing to do with my situation? Lol re-directing readers attention how professional. Thats all your company is though hype hype hype and thats why I bought into it.

agm and tdoeizreal like this.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

When I buy equipment I can't repair I try to find out who will repair. I talk with them about turnaround expectations. I realize I will have to kiss up to get quick service. Things can get complicated.

Chris19883190 likes this.
  5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Thumbs Up

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

It's best to wait it out. Theres more reliable/stable options to buy from companies that have been around a long time. The production vs reliability/service makes companies like turfco or z spray more attractive.

Stinger just like lawn solutions had some innovated ideas for equipment. Took time to work out the bugs. Until they were bought out, the bugs/redesigned items were there. Toro took the time/investment to work the bugs out which lawn solutions either couldn't or wouldn't do.

Most now dont know what lawn solutions was. If you see the equipment for sale it has little value due to parts/support or even knowing it exists. Stinger may be the same way in five years or it might not.

They are good at selling to rental shops just like lawn solutions was. Sounds like they have their foot in the door at site one which helped zspray succeed (but they had killer customer service to help after the sale, zspray did).

I'd wait, give it 3 yrs for real world reviews to catch up and be heard. I really think the hydros will end up failing early and replacement/repair costs will be pricey.

7. JFGLN

JFGLN LawnSite Bronze Member

Friendly advice:)... Stinger rep(owner) needs to work on his PR skills.

Nredo, Kitman, agm and 4 others like this.
  8. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

I agree.

Nredo, Kitman and tdoeizreal like this.
  9. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Not really.

You can't really say a company isn't reaching out to you if you told that company you're done and that their product is at the dealer to get shipped back. To me, and most people that means...."I'm shipping your stuff back and I'm done with you." That's pretty clear...I wouldn't contact someone after that message. I'd move on, get the equipment back and check it out and tighten up whatever went wrong in that situation. I don't need to get in contact with that customer to do any of that.

If I mow a client and they call and say "i'm done, your work is crap"....well, to me I'm not going back to them to mow again, I'm not going to contact them they're done and they said so and if my work is crap then why even give them a free piece of crap?

For a few pages we got one side of the story....then we got two sides of the story.....the truth is somewhere in the middle, but Stinger seems to have more common sense.

Mark Stark, zlandman and GrassManKzoo like this.
  10. Green Mentorship

Green Mentorship LawnSite Member

This is a small time mindset. If that's where you are or want to stay, there is no harm in that. However, if you want to be a market leader (like stinger claims) then you need to provide service that is above and beyond. That's why we invested in 11 steel greens so far and 17 z sprays before that. Because we knew those guys would do the right thing EVERY TIME. That's what we do with our customers too and it's what has allowed us to lead the markets where we operate.

The reality is that this negative feedback is really hard to take diplomatically for a true visionary like David from stinger or even myself. I have a rule that I don't do customer service. I think David shouldn't either. That's why he turned it to a positive talking about the app and their service centers - visionaries need to have the positive energy that growth and progress provides. This negative feedback is probably haunting his brainspace and why I didn't go into depth with my laundry list out of respect for him and his brainspace.

Kitman, tdoeizreal and zlandman like this.