1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

Dismiss Notice

My Ferris cut quality?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ommegang, Jun 4, 2011.

1. ommegang

ommegang LawnSite Member

I have a Ferris 2007 is1500z 52" 25HP Kawi. Cut quality seems lacking. Perhaps I mow to fast. I sharpen my blades often by grinding. Maybe gator blades? Do mower brands differ that much in cut quality? I know Ferris upgraded thier deck to an ICD deck. And at the Exmark dealer, he said I couldn't compare a Bobcat WB because thier not the same - then he gave me the Exmark line. This is the only ZTR that I have experience on. My 1998 Exmark WB seemed to cut better, I hate to admit. I sold it to look for a 36"WB

2. thezaz

thezaz LawnSite Member

I have a 2000z and I have changed blades a few times. Brands that is.
    i take mine in and sharpen them and balance. I found gator work good but I still end up sharpening once a week. The gator have a harder metal and are a bit thinner than the stock that came with it originally. I still have to go slow when cutting some stuff but thats normal. I have run scags in the past and have found a better cut with them than my Ferris. I am looking to get out of my Ferris. I used a gravely pro stance and it had a better cut than the Ferris.

3. ommegang

ommegang LawnSite Member

You want to change beacuse of cut? Mine only has 50 hrs. Cut is acceptable. I wouldn't mind trying something different too. But then I'd have to go to an Exmark. The Ferris ICD deck is supposed to be much better though.

4. A-1 LAWN

A-1 LAWN LawnSite Member
    from kansas

my dealer told me to run factory blades with the icd deck.I have the snapper with the icd and leaves a nice finish cut.I run factory blades and balance them when sharpening