Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what did you do for $10?
I trimed up the front of her house. I was passing out flyers in my neighborhood and I saw her out there so I went up and asked if she needed anything done. I actually quoted her $20 dollars but she got me down to 10. Truthfully it was probably only worth about 10 because all I had to do was trim a bit just on the front of the house.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Thats great we all should work for FREE:hammerhead:

·
Registered
182 Posts
If it was only worth $10 then you should have quoted her $10 and not dropped the price. Some people like to feel like they got a good deal. When in fact having you do it at all should be a good deal.

You are just starting out and you want to get work and clients, but if you start out cutitng your price, you will always do it. Figure out your rates and stick to them.

That $10 bucks took you 15 minutes to earn. It realy took 30 minutes to earn. There is the 15 minutes you worked and then the 15 additional minutes you needed to do the stuff you were doing when you stopped to trim.

"I will charge you $10"
"Oh that is too much"
"Have a good day."

Say it or think it but, "I am a professional landscaper. I have the tools and experience to do the job correctly. What will only take me 15 minutes to do, could possible take you an hour. What is your time worth? If I wasn't just driving by I would charge you $30 to do that same job.
"Well my time is worth alot and I don't have the tools. $10 seems fair."

Don't want to rag on you, but there is money to be made if you price your self, equipment, and employees correctly.

Good Luck

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sweet another person to under cut my prices
this is what we need more of !
I mow blow $5dollas!
Um... I appreciate the sarcasm but I did'nt "mow" or "blow" all I did was trim a few overgrown blades of grass on the front of her house. Actually I probably would've done it for $5. Besides even if I was undercutting your prices you need to quite whining about it and make yourself more efficient to undercut someone else. How do you think walmart got so successful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If it was only worth $10 then you should have quoted her $10 and not dropped the price. Some people like to feel like they got a good deal. When in fact having you do it at all should be a good deal.

You are just starting out and you want to get work and clients, but if you start out cutitng your price, you will always do it. Figure out your rates and stick to them.

That $10 bucks took you 15 minutes to earn. It realy took 30 minutes to earn. There is the 15 minutes you worked and then the 15 additional minutes you needed to do the stuff you were doing when you stopped to trim.

"I will charge you $10"
"Oh that is too much"
"Have a good day."

Say it or think it but, "I am a professional landscaper. I have the tools and experience to do the job correctly. What will only take me 15 minutes to do, could possible take you an hour. What is your time worth? If I wasn't just driving by I would charge you $30 to do that same job.
"Well my time is worth alot and I don't have the tools. $10 seems fair."

Don't want to rag on you, but there is money to be made if you price your self, equipment, and employees correctly.

Good Luck
Thanks for the constructive criticism. So should I have stuck with the original price of $20 and just left if she said no? Actually what she said is I don't have $20 dollars so it would've been either $20 or nothing. Is it worth it in the long run to not take the job or to "take the money and run" as they say.

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Thanks for the constructive criticism. So should I have stuck with the original price of $20 and just left if she said no? Actually what she said is I don't have $20 dollars so it would've been either $20 or nothing. Is it worth it in the long run to not take the job or to "take the money and run" as they say.
Honestly i think you did the right thing. Its not like you made a special trip to go there for $10. You happen to already be there. Thats why i asked you what you did for $10 before i was about to blast you. hahah What people like me dont want is for lowballers ruining the industry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What did the website run you if you don't mind, when did you start up your company?
The website cost me 10 bucks and I started my company about 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to become a pro and I really love mowing yards, its alot less stressfull than my current job. If anyone has any tips I love to hear them. My current problem is just trying to get accounts.

·
Registered
224 Posts
congrats.. I think you did the right thing..... job was worth 10 to you so do it for ten...dont worry about the naysayers.. stick to what your doing, just make sure your covering your overhead and salting away enough money to weather the bad times ( and their will be some trust me), and you will be fine....

you can pm me anytime if you have any questions......

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
thats what i do so people feel like they get a deal..say..Im going to charge $25 so i say $30 and when they ask for a lower price i say ok the lowest i can go is $25 and then they feel **** they get a discount and everybodys is happy!!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.