My first commercial property bid. Please advise.

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Hotty Toddy, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Hotty Toddy

Hotty Toddy LawnSite Member

I just did a mulch job at a gentleman’s residence. After that he asked me to meet him at a commercial site that he runs. It’s really a strip mall that has a five guys burgers, a Baskin-Robbins, and some other things in it. He wants help with the flowerbeds. His biggest problem is that the awnings that are up causes the mulch to wash away. His solution for that was to install these flag stone rocks in the front of the flowerbeds. Hes already begun that. His person who normally does this for just had hand surgery. So he needs someone to finish the job.

There are also some landscaping plants are not doing well. Specifically the spirea really sucks. He wants it replaced with something. He also wants the area mulched. There are three crape myrtles on the area that need to be treated for crape Myrtle Bark scale.

I’m being asked to complete the Lane had the flagstone around the rest of the sidewalk. The part that is completed was 950 pounds. It’ll take about that much if not a little bit more to complete the perimeter. Also plan on replacing a tin of the shrubs with something that would look better.

I’m about to head to my source to price the flagstone and the plantings. I would appreciate your advice regarding the process here. How would you did such a project. What I mean when I say that is how would you go about breaking this down and how would you price each section of the bid?

Sorry for typos due to voice dictation.

2. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

3. Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc LawnSite Member

What not do time and materials for what you anticipate the whole job to complete? Mark up materials if your able,and cover yourself with an additional percentage to cover plants if your source doesn’t warranty them. Utilize your hourly rate for time for research, selection and transport of material! Get your figure and figure a per cent profit for you. Show the pics to your source and ask them their opinion on what might work. Iyou May get a discount if you buy x amount, just like bulk mulch! I’d go with some type of perineal grass and shrub roses! Hardy and good plant partners!

Glad to see you want to help change it, too monochrome for my taste, but it’s commerical landscape! Can you offer an up sell for periodic maintenance? Is there a sprinkler system in the beds? Jeff

4. BigJlittleC

BigJlittleC LawnSite Fanatic
    from Chicago

Just get a 5 year supply of 5 guys burgers. Them things are great.

Go T&M the rock path thing looks extra simple.

If you get the maintenance add extra time for trash pick up.

5. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

Good words.

The rock layout is pretty straight forward. I was thinking about replacing the spent spireas with either Lemon Lime nandina or Kalaedescope abelia. Grasses is a good thought, too. I’d love Drift roses, but wonder if a thorny bush would be a good idea in such a narrow bed next to a busy sidewalk.

I’d love a maintenance contract. That way I might can convert the whole landscape over to something cool over time. I would love a perennial border.

Jeff@diyokc likes this.
  6. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

Where are the sick spirea?

7. Jeff@diyokc

Jeff@diyokc LawnSite Member

Do them in front of the grasses, that way they could act as a buffer! Good choices that you related! Jeff

8. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

290985C4-A881-4E62-AD9D-775AD933D9A1.jpeg

2C164E7E-3583-4702-A6F3-F188A06CDCC7.jpeg

117A26F5-3079-40F7-B48C-959736329A62.jpeg

hort101 likes this.
  9. hort101

hort101 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from S.E. New England

I see now thanks:)

I think theres some underlying issue maybe water or a pest problem usually spirea ate trouble free maybe too hot there

Also see damage on the holly or boxwood thought at first you meant them

Walker56 likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Hotty Toddy

Some of the hollies are a bit gnarly, yeah. It might get hot there by the parking lot. But it faces East. Rookie overlook here, I don’t recall if it’s irrigated. Will check tomorrow.

The taller, somewhat conical, boxwoods are relatively new, added last year. They are the best looking plants in the flowerbeds right now.

hort101 likes this.