1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

My first power washing job -- my own driveway

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by Hotty Toddy, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Hotty Toddy

Hotty Toddy LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a PW from Northern Tools -- 4000/4GPM. I also purchased the Powerhouse 16" surface cleaner.

Here's what I did -- 2000SF of driveway, 80 feet of curb, 38 feet of sidewalk, and 216 SF concrete/brick front porch. Here are my issues/things learned. Feel free to comment.

1. It took me 3:20 to do this. That was longer than I thought. I presume I will get more efficient.
    2. I tried different motions with the surface cleaner. I, for now, settled on going with a slower pass than repeating the pass.
    3. My upper body is more tired than I thought from handling the PW.
    4. My technique got worse toward the end from either getting tired and/or bored.
    5. When I finished with the surface cleaner, went back to rinse the whole thing off. The first part that I had done was starting to dry. So, I actually ended up PW is twice since a simple rinse wouldn't remove the silt. Should I rinse as I go? Break it up into sections?
    6. I might consider cutting in the edges with a nozzle prior to switching to the surface cleaner next time. ??
    7. It looks much better after cleaning, but I'm not completely satisfied. I think my rinse off was a little less aggressive than I should have been with it.

Dos Equis, here I come.

HT

2. hal

hal LawnSite Gold Member
    from Georgia

Yes rinse as you go, do a section rinse it, cutting in before is good. Just like mowing get a good pattern, pre soak with chems, house wash mix before you go at it, speeds things up. We do a cross pattern to eliminate lines. You can go fairly quick, there is a learning curve.

Doc8406 and Hotty Toddy like this.