My Full-Tilt-Boogie Restoration on My 2002 Exmark Lazer Z HP Mower

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by EdRouze, Oct 15, 2015.

1. EdRouze

EdRouze LawnSite Member

I've spent a little more time working on my Exmark. Mainly, I have the little odds and ends to tend to so far as reassembly goes. Of course, there will be a lot of adjusting and other finessing, but that just goes with the territory.

Hello, Everyone,

Before I get going on the reassembly photos, I've pictured the hydraulic oil I intend to use. I contacted Exmark's technical department and (no surprise) they suggested using their own brand hydro fluid. Originally, Mobil One was the recommended oil to use in the system, however, they told me that the Mobil One chemistry has changed in recent years which resulted in Exmark having their own hydro oil manufactured. A photo shows the genuine Exmark oil.

The next photo is of a filter/strainer I bought the other day after I discovered I had some water in one of my other small engine tanks. This is a Mr. Funnel, made by FloTool. The maker says you can pour water-contaminated fuel into the funnel and it will remove every smidge of the moisture. It also removes grass bits, trash and dirt that often can be a problem working around dusty, dirty lawn mowers.

For some reason I can't seem to find the original lug nuts that came on the Exmark. I'm more than likely going to go with stainless steel lug nuts, but for now, I needed some sort of lug nut so I could push the mower around. Because the nuts I found in my bolt bin are not tapered, I thought it might be wise to sandwich a fiber washer between the nut and the wheel itself to prevent marring and possible damage. The third photo shows the substitute nut and the fiber washer. The fourth picture shows the substitute nuts installed. Now I can roll the mower around without fear of damaging either the lug threads or the rim itself.

The fifth picture is one showing the just-installed hour meter. I decided to paint the housing bright yellow just for the fun of things.

Thanks for reading. Have a great start of the week, and always work safely.

-- Eddie

New_1_hydro oil.jpeg

filter.JPG

lug weasher.jpeg

lug nuts.JPG

exmark three.jpeg

2. EdRouze

EdRouze LawnSite Member

In regard to my just-added hour meter photo: The the hour meter and warning/instruction labels are installed up-side-down for the benefit of the operator when looking down while sitting in the operator's seat.

-- ER

3. tlhodeck

tlhodeck LawnSite Member

Hello Ed, what an interesting blog. I have an identical mower that I bought in 2006. It was a year old and had 60 hours on it. Churches in our area trade every year so it is possible to buy a year old mower at good savings.
    I am curious. You did not say how you cleaned the gas tanks. Mine look terrible and I have always garaged my mower. I am hard on my mower because I use it to push dirt back that groundhogs piled up, push my burn pile together, or mow down small trees and wild roses that might have 3/4" branches at their base, but it just keeps running an running with 1100 + hours. Thanks so much for documenting your project.

4. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

looking good, did you happen to swap the engine out?

Jensen

5. EdRouze

EdRouze LawnSite Member

Hey, Jenson,

Nope, I didn't do anything to the engine other than flush out all the internals and clean it up and make it all look pretty. I did go for new plugs, filters and things like that. I'm using genuine Kawasaki motor oil and genuine Exmark hydro oil.

The engine only has 502 hours on it. It started and operated exactly as intended and it didn't drip or smoke or use oil between changes, so I just couldn't justify doing anything to it other than what I just mentioned.

Thanks for your interest! Best wishes from Eddie

6. MNLawns

Male, from MN

Hey Ed,
    What is the size of the engine? and is it the Tri-Vantage deck?

Best,
    Jensen

7. EdRouze

EdRouze LawnSite Member

Hi, tlhodeck,

I've been to Lititz before. Beautiful area.

My tanks were clean inside, so all I did was pour in some Purple Power with some hot water and shook it all around. I did this a couple of times, following that with a garden hose to flood out the inside for a couple of minutes to make sure nothing was left in there.

For the outsides, I used straight (not diluted) Purple Power and sprayed the entire outside until it was dripping. I used a stiff brush to scrub down into the pores of the outside surface and hosed off. I repeated this until it was spotless. Finally, I dusted on a light mist coat of aerosol dye that was a virtually perfect match for the original gray plastic. I didn't want to "dye" the tanks. Really what I wanted to do is "freshen" up the tanks, therefore the mist-coat of dye. What that very light coat of dye did was simply brighten up the sun faded gray plastic. I had a couple of very shallow scratches in the tanks from contact with small trees, etc., so I just used a piece of 400-grit wetordry sandpaper to dress down the scratch before I sprayed on the dye. Once the dye was on, these tiny scratches just vanished. I think the dye was a product sold in pro auto paint shops under the SEM brand. I've used quite a few colors of it back when I restored antique cars to freshen up everything from radiator hoses (like original Model A red hoses), rubber boots on shifters, to blacken super-looking, but faded, brake and clutch pedals, and the like. I was in Lititz a couple of different times to go to the AACA car show and flea market in Hershey during October.

Thanks for your time to read about my mower project. Take care and always work safely.

-- Eddie

hort101 and kawasaki guy like this.
  8. EdRouze

EdRouze LawnSite Member

Hello, again, Jensen,

My mower has the original Kawasaki engine installed by Exmark back in 2002. It is a FH680V - DS10. It is the 23 hp version. It has the ordinary air cleaner that sits atop the motor just above and between the cylinders.

I bought on eBay one of the Donaldson multi-stage canister air filters that I'd like to use, but I need a couple of parts I don't have for the install. Also, I've read that the carbs are different on motors equipped with the air cleaner, but I need to research this, too.

Thanks for your interest, Jensen!

9. EdRouze

EdRouze LawnSite Member

The other day I got my cup holder installed back on my Exmark that I've been working to restore to "as new" (or perhaps, better-than-new) condition.

I smoothed out some of the little nicks and deep scratches on the lip area of the black plastic part of the cup holder, and when I was satisfied with that, I applied a mist coat of satin black vinyl dye.

I decided to install the cup holder using carriage-head bolts rather than pop rivets as originally done simply because I like the look of the smooth-head bolts better than the look of the rivets. I'll just use the stainless steel rivets I bought earlier for this on some other application. I used stainless washers and stainless steel Nylock nuts on the underside to securely anchor it.

The installed cup holder is shown in the first picture.

I also installed my new VIN plate that the folks at Exmark's home office made up special for me. My original data plate had very shallow computer dot generated numerals and letters that were very difficult to read. This new plate has the very same number and letter series as my original, only this new plate is far more readable. That's the second picture, and yes, I cropped the photo so I wasn't broadcasting all my VIN info for the world to see.

Thanks for taking your time to read about my project.

-- Eddie

cupholder.JPG

clipped vin.JPG

10. MNLawns

Male, from MN

Ed,
    Not to be a jerk or anything, but you already posted your serial number you might want to ask @Michael J. Donovan to delete my post, and edit that pic out of your post.

Jensen