My Full-Tilt-Boogie Restoration on My 2002 Exmark Lazer Z HP Mower

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by EdRouze, Oct 15, 2015.

1. EdRouze

EdRouze LawnSite Member

Thanks for letting me know. Probably not a big deal. Automobile VIN numbers are right on the dash of every car down at Walmart.

Take care! -- Eddie

2. EdRouze

EdRouze LawnSite Member

Hello, Everyone,

Another of the things I did on Project Exmark was to upgrade the retaining tabs used to anchor the pins needed to lock the roll-over protection bar into position. ( I have new stainless cable, but I've not worked it yet.)

It wasn't that there wasn't anything wrong with the original tabs, other than they were punched (or cut) from regular old steel, which often will rust. Mainly, I just replicated the tabs from thicker stainless steel for the no-rust qualities as well as the “just because I can” factor.

The first photo shows the original tab (top) and the yet-to-be-polished stainless tab (bottom).

The second photo provides a comparison of the thickness of the original and the stainless tab. The stainless tab is significantly thicker.

Before I installed the stainless tab – surprise! – I did some buffing on it to bring it to a mirror-like shine. This additional effort will undoubtedly make the engine run far smoother than ever before, provide for a minimum of 7 extra horsepower, and in general, provide a superior end-result cut to my mowing job. Yeah, right!

The third photo shows the polished tab installed on the roll bar.

The final photo for this posting shows the just-installed decal on the hydro reservoir. Exmark now recommends using their proprietary hydro oil instead of using Mobil One. A man in the Exmark engineering department told me via email that Mobil One didn't have the same additives that it formerly had, therefore, they recommend their branded product that they feel has the special additives their system needs. I'm just reporting what he wrote.

Thanks for reading and work safely!

-- Eddie

tether one.JPG

tether.JPG

polished tab.JPG

hydro decal.JPG

stuffdeer likes this.
  3. EdRouze

EdRouze LawnSite Member

tires one.JPG tires one.JPG chain one.JPG taylor one.JPG Hello, once again, everyone! Life sure can keep me busy! Since I do have a Husqvarna rider, I've not been pressed to get the Exmark up and running. I do, however, want to get 'er going so I can start enjoying it and, naturally, move on to some of my other projects.

The weeds here in Central Alabama have really been growing. We've had a couple of days that came close to reaching 90 degrees, so I suppose it is time. Our pecan trees are starting to leaf out -- they are always among the last to do that. I've been doing a lot of dethatching with a push mower and the super heavy nylon line that pokes through holes in the end of the 21-inch blade. I'd probably have been better of renting a commercial dethatcher, but maybe next year.

On Project Exmark, I went ahead and decided to buy a pair of tires for the mower's drive wheels. I went back with the Carlisle tires, as were original on the machine. These are their Turf Master tires in the original size, which is 23 - 9.5 x 12. These are four-ply tires. Carlisle also makes the same size tire in a two ply, but I decided I'd be willing to sacrifice just a tad of riding comfort for the much longer lasting tire. My original tires had plenty of tread -- the mower has only 503 hours, so that's all the use on the tires, but I did get a side cut on one tire three or four years ago that tended to gradually leak down. It would go flat after about two weeks of being unattended, so I just got used to adding air before I mowed. I hope the new tires will eliminate that as being an inconvenience.

The new tires are shown in the first photo. I ordered them online, and the seller had to on my doorstep in three days. I'll get a buddy of mine who has a tires store do the mounting for me. I found an online seller who offered them delivered for less than the price of the same tires in the two-ply lineup. Normally, it looks like the four-plys go for $10 to $30 more apiece than for a pair of the two-ply tires, so I was pleased with my purchase. Earlier, I bought new Carlisle smooth caster tires for the front of the mower.

I also bought a foot of small stainless steel chain to use to help prevent loss of the lock pins on the roll-over bar. I've posted a photo of the small chain and the various pieces of attaching hardware to make everything safe and secure.

Thanks for reading, and enjoy your weekend. Best wishes from Eddie!

P.S. The third photo is of my dog, Taylor. She likes to have her belly rubbed, and rolls over, hoping I'll give her some attention. She did this while I was getting dressed this morning, but she went to sleep, snoring and her leg up in the air, waiting for me to play some with her. She's a wonderful companion! -- ER

kawasaki guy likes this.
  4. Sprechity

Sprechity LawnSite Member

I literally created an account just to subscribe/ comment on this thread... amazing. (Im sure i'll lurk around to other threads, but this one reeled me in)
    I know its been several months since you last posted and I was wondering- any updates? any final assembly photos? Hope all is well.

kawasaki guy likes this.
  5. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from USA

Y
    I second the update!

Sprechity likes this.
  6. Sprechity

Sprechity LawnSite Member

@kawasaki guy: I literally read every post on this thread and I came to this giant cliff hanger. did he finish it? did he sell it? was there some problem with it that prevented him from finishing it??? dun dun dunnnnnnn haha! but seriously, Mr Rouze, amazing work.

I found this thread after acquiring a 2000 Lazer Z 60" deck from my father in law. this thing has almost 2400 hours on it. yea. (engine) still runs like new. just need to tend to some hydro failures/ issues.

after seeing this thread im inspired to do some sort of restoration, although to a smaller scale. :)

dave_14385 likes this.
  7. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from USA

Eddie where did ya go?

dave_14385 likes this.
  8. NEPA Lawn

NEPA Lawn LawnSite Member

Where did you go Eddie?

9. EdRouze

EdRouze LawnSite Member

Hello, everyone. He's back! Life can be so complicated. I need to get going on my Exmark project! Grass is a-growing here in central Alabama!

I am going to need some how-to advice on my Kawasaki motor's push rods and valves and their adjustments. I will post my needs shortly. Maybe someone will be able to coach me on this.

ed2hess and hort101 like this.
  10. EdRouze

EdRouze LawnSite Member

Hello, again!

I spent some of my time today trying to pick back up on Project Exmark. One of the biggest stumbling blocks I have at the moment is getting new push rods installed and the valves adjusted. There is a fair bit of information out there on the web, however, a lot of what I see ASSUMES you already know a good bit about doing the install and then doing the valve adjustments. I know I will get it figured out, and of course some of you are probably wondering why don't I just pay someone to do this, and the answer is "I want to do it myself." I'm sure I don't have to explain that to anyone.

Thanks for reading. I hope to get going again, posting pictures and telling about the final couple of chapters of my ZTR mower project. Be safe and take care! -- Eddie