Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier this season I put on a post about how the Scag hydro would lose power when using a sulky. Then I reported how it was fixed by changing the springs for the hydro units. These heavier springs have done the trick, but much to my dismay my hands/fingers ache from the added draw I must put on to pull in the handles. I know Stone will say that's why I should use Toro as the T-Bar doesn't have that problem, but does anyone know of any other fix for this problem? I am planning on buying a Z next season, but will still need to use the WB.

·
Banned
2,079 Posts
Make hired help operate the scag. You see the great thing about workers comp insurance is they can't sue for OTJ injuries.

Now if you are using help from a temp service you can be liable for injuries. Stay away from using temps.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Get to the gym! Before I got my hydro mower that I use 85% of the time now, I would start working out every Feb. or Mar. to get my forearm, wrist & hand muscles strengthened before the season of dealing with the WB's and my carpal tunnel syndrome.

·
Banned
3,485 Posts
BUY A NEW MOWER! Try any thing with Naproxen Sodium in it, take 2 first followed by one every 8 hours as the directions say. Try sleeping at night with your hands in wrist splints (like rollerbladers wear) to keep them straight. I had this problem when I had a BobCat with the grip handles, that's why I bought the Great Dane Scamper with the bars, no problems since.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BRL...Has nothing to do with the gym. How can you strengthen finger muscles? Play ice hockey all the time and am in great shape! Never had this problem til the "beefier" springs were put on. I could run the darn WB all day with no problems. The springs have a real strong resistance to say the least. Not to mention...by this time of the season one would think that my hands would've strengthened themselves from the use. I know you're just ribbin, but I was hoping for another mechanical fix as opposed to a physical fix. :)

P.S. Kirby...what might have that stuff in it? Thankk God I only have about 4 more weeks worth of cutting...then I can rest the digits for a few months! You feeling better yet?

·
Banned
3,485 Posts
Aleve is the most common brand around here, there are several others just look in the "Asprin" section at the drug store. Yes, much better today, getting ready to got follow-up on my lawn seedings I did 2-3 weeks ago. Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Art...could you be a little more detailed? Where did you bolt the angle iron? You using a sulky? The longer spring kept enough pressure on the hydro to give you power? I've been thinking about just dropping the sulky, putting the original springs on and walking again, but my productivity would be lost!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
To anyone with artritus or similar pains
The med ultram is one of the reasons i
can still put in a full day. Some say its
addictive but i sometime go 2to3 day when i
forget to take it. So i dont think so.
Hope it helps as it is a real good painkiller.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This is just a shot in the dark, but are the wheels properly greased on the sulky. On my velke I have to grease twice a week or I can notice an increase in the amount of strength needed to turn.

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
I think I would be looking into getting rid of the proslide. (Never did like those things anyway) Do you realize how much easier and less resistance a 2 wheeled sulky pulls? Make sure you get a solid mount though. (hydrostatic and all) Then you could go back to much lighter springs and much more enjoyment cutting. "Can you say - Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?"

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey Scraper,
I never did change my springs. I just kind of put up with it. I did not realize that you were using the Proslide, I just use the single wheel Velkie. My Scag w/ the 18hp Briggs will give forearms like Popeye.The 17 hp strains slightly on hills and has better "feather" touch,so I just left the it alone. Hope the pain goes away!!!!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.