My head hurts considering Ferris or Deere...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Bluffman, Jan 15, 2020 at 4:09 PM.

1. Bluffman

Bluffman LawnSite Member

So I just got back from the Northern Green Expo in Minneapolis. My choices in a zero turn have narrowed down to a Deere Z930M or a Ferris ISX2200. The Deere has the Kawi 25.5HP FX801V, 12" wide rears and the 7 iron Pro deck. DA down in Rochester seems to love his and it seems most people love the cut quality. The Ferris has the new 28HP Vanguard with the oil guard which intrigues me regarding constant lubrication on hills etc. The ride of the new 4-front suspension is supposed to be awesome and hold slopes better. My biggest concern is cut quality here in the north with the ICD deck...obviously, that is the most important. Both have good dealer support within 30 minutes so that isn't an issue. Price wise, they're within $600. I've never owned a Briggs but I know there's been a lot of support on here for them. I've strictly been a Kawi man thus far but like many, oil consumption, blown motors in the 1000-1500 hour range have plagued me as well. I could sure use some comments or advice...pre orders from the dealers start soon so I have a decision to make. Thanks

Cam15 likes this.
  2. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Can't beat the ride of a Ferris, but this new suspension system looks like it has a lot more wear points than even before, and more things to go wrong or get bent by accidentally running the 4 link bars into something, not to mention the shock towers seems awfully tall now, which would make tucking in under shrubs and bushes a bit tougher maybe. Just based on the cut, I'd opt for the JD, especially with their new seat system, but if having the ultimate ride quality is more important to you than the cut in any condition, get the Ferris.

3. OP
    OP
    Bluffman

Bluffman LawnSite Member

I thought you might chime in. I've been leaning toward green all along mainly because of the cut. The Briggs oil guard intrigued me a bit though so I thought I'd throw it out there for opinions. But, as I had said and you agreed, the cut quality matters the most. The unit I would get has the top of the line seat so I'm sure I'd be fine. This 60 year old body though some days cries for relief so the Ferris definitely excels in that dept. Thanks again for you thoughts.

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I wish JD would offer the Vanguard engines, especially with the oil guard system. I would take one in a heartbeat. The new set JD has is pretty nice and with the iso mounts included, the ride is vastly improved. I do like the JD parts system and the fact they can get it to you overnight if needed. Still, I do like the Ferris mowers. I just wish they change the deck slightly as far as the baffling goes. Then it would not be a question for me other than lack of Ferris dealers near me.

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

I would also add- I like my JD A model a LOT better than the current versions, but I can't add on the new seat system, at least not without a lot of hassle and expense which is something JD does that burns my butt.

I'll have to decide next go around whether to stay green or try something else- like the TT II I have always wanted.

6. Green Industry Pro

Green Industry Pro LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Tyler Texas

All I'm going to say is if I was going to get a sit down mower (which I wouldn't, I'd get another stand on) I'd go with Deere. Support, cut quality, features. I'm a Wright stand on guy though, might should check those out!

7. OP
    OP
    Bluffman

Bluffman LawnSite Member

I get the stand on vs sit down debate but riding is the only way I’ll go these days. I’m a solo and I ain’t 25 anymore! I mainly do larger, rural props which are considerably rough at times. The other thing is I use a tow behind Trac Vac pro for cleanups and fall leaves. I’m set up for a zero turn only and that system works very well for me. I always appreciate the feedback tho. Thanks.

Ridin' Green likes this.
  8. williams lcm

williams lcm LawnSite Bronze Member

I have both the ferris and john deere zero turns. They both cut excellent. The ferris is the ultimate with ride and oil guard with vanguard is top notch. John deere has excellent cut quality wet or dry but ride is much rougher . Once you compare the ride day in and day out you would pick ferris. I can run wide open with ferris on bumps. I do like john deere service. They get me in and out quickly with all the parts on hand.

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

You are cutting stiff southern grasses though. There's a big difference between them and what we cut up here, and in how a deck handles this stuff in the wet or extreme dry conditions.

10. OP
    OP
    Bluffman

Bluffman LawnSite Member

I was wondering that as well...I have relatives in the Miami area and when I visit, I’m amazed how different their grass is from what I deal with here in Minnesota. I do appreciate anyone’s opinion tho, near or far! The little voice in my head keeps reminding me that usually, I’m cutting on the “wet” side of the equation. Late summer of course we dry out some but our irrigated yards stay on the wet side all the way till late fall. Last year, we had record rains all the way through Labor Day...it never dried out. Areas that aren’t watered regularly that normally brown out were green till dormancy.

Ridin' Green likes this.