My Intro and a Sod Bid Question

MLM2010

LawnSite Member
Hey guys,

New member with a fresh landscape maintenance bus. here! I've actually worked the last 5 yrs for a neighbor who had a small company. He also worked for Disney doing their golf course maintenance so I feel that I have learned from someone who knew what they were doing. I'm no expert though.

Sadly he passed away last year (God bless his soul) and I bought his machine (lesco 36 in. hydro wb) and some of his local accounts in addition to a few I have picked up in the neighborhood. I now have 12 residential accounts. I also have all the necessary hand tools and a truck and trailer so im ready to rock n roll. But geez is there alot of competition in CFL! I have no worries though because there's plenty of business too. So I've been really grinding lately using all my free time going door to door and have actually had some luck I hope to really grow and build a great business this year but it'll be tough. I also go to school full time.

Now that I have introduced myself, I have a question about bidding on a sod job. I am bidding on a removal and install for about 6000 sq ft. and as of now I am planning on quoting him $ 0.50/sq. ft.. Other companies are charging $0.60 and I have low over head right now and I really need the work but I'm wondering if that is considered low balling? I dont want to low ball, I need this industry to thrive. Oh, and I've layed plenty of sod, I was just always the laborer so I need a little help.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

eaglescout1993

LawnSite Member
if you are renting any equipment id throw that in on top of the 0.50 per sq/ft. i live in MO. and the guy across the street just paid to have is 1/4 acer yard w/ in-ground pool and 2000sq/ft foot print house on the land for a large price sum of 4000 dollars. if you do not have on go to your local rent-a-center and get a sod cutter to make removal easy and the attachment or another machine to lay the new sod.

good luck and make sure you get the ALL DAY RENTAL not the 4hr, crap happens that is unenforceable

yamadooski

LawnSite Senior Member
Are you spanish? Because here in Florida the only way you will get a sod job is to beat the spanish at their own game. That is to be the lowest. Now on other hand Im white and have filthy rich people as clients and they dont want to deal with them at all. So I get 1.25 a foot and Im there while the mexicans do it for .40 a foot. I stand there and supervise. The client comes out talks to an educated white man who can speak the american language correctly.

Good luck in getting work as yes there is a lot of it as a few of you say but you're not getting the prices that I get on jobs either. There is a lot of work out there just drop your price compared to the others in the same field.

Look at how busy the fast food joints are. I went in one last week and had to wait. Because they have dropped the price of a lot of good items down to
$1.00. Now that is that lowballing or adjusting to the economy?

NOw that is an interesting topic someone should start.

g21

LawnSite Senior Member
Welcome to the biz. Obviously you are in one of the best landscape markets in America, so you are going to do well. The first thing you need to do is establish your manhour rate that you are going to charge for your services. Just picking a sq.ft price because that's what others charge is going to get you into trouble.

Having laid a great deal of sod, you should easily be able to determine how much sod you can lay in an hour. Once you have the manhour rate, pricing the job should be quite easy. The one variable is the removal. A production rate for that type of work is real hard to establish since each site has it's own characteristics. So some "estimating" is going to be necessary for the amount of those hours needed. The more experience you get doing it, the easier that will get. We don't estimate in our family business (except snow removal). Anything we don't have a production ratio for, we charge the customer an hourly rate.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask if you need any help with anything.

Tommy

BearWise Landscapers

LawnSite Senior Member
Welcome to the website!

I am just right across town. Let me know if you have any insurance questions or if I can help with quotes or anything else. Tommy and Rick at ALMA are the best people I have met to answer all of your other business related questions. They do a great job with that and have tons of experience.

Good luck this year!

Landscape Poet

LawnSite Gold Member
Hey guys,

New member with a fresh landscape maintenance bus. here! I've actually worked the last 5 yrs for a neighbor who had a small company. He also worked for Disney doing their golf course maintenance so I feel that I have learned from someone who knew what they were doing. I'm no expert though.

Sadly he passed away last year (God bless his soul) and I bought his machine (lesco 36 in. hydro wb) and some of his local accounts in addition to a few I have picked up in the neighborhood. I now have 12 residential accounts. I also have all the necessary hand tools and a truck and trailer so im ready to rock n roll. But geez is there alot of competition in CFL! I have no worries though because there's plenty of business too. So I've been really grinding lately using all my free time going door to door and have actually had some luck I hope to really grow and build a great business this year but it'll be tough. I also go to school full time.

Now that I have introduced myself, I have a question about bidding on a sod job. I am bidding on a removal and install for about 6000 sq ft. and as of now I am planning on quoting him $ 0.50/sq. ft.. Other companies are charging $0.60 and I have low over head right now and I really need the work but I'm wondering if that is considered low balling? I dont want to low ball, I need this industry to thrive. Oh, and I've layed plenty of sod, I was just always the laborer so I need a little help.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the community, there are several of us here from CFL, as you will see. The sod at .50 sounds a little cheap to me, unless others have said you are trying to compete with the Spanish crews. I understand your want to get started and to get the bid but make sure you will be making it worth your time, also think about this, if you do this bid low for this client now, you must also know that the client is will expect and treat you like a cheap low cost provider from now on.
I know starting out you are in need of the money, you are eager to get started, but do not be so eager that you hurt yourself by doing so.

zzach001

LawnSite Member
Im over here north of tampa and the most we can get for st aug is 56 cents and bahia is 41, fully installed.

Do you guys know of any semi drivers looking for work? im trying to get a few truck loads directly from the fields for some jobs I have coming up.
Thanks

Are you spanish? Because here in Florida the only way you will get a sod job is to beat the spanish at their own game. That is to be the lowest. Now on other hand Im white and have filthy rich people as clients and they dont want to deal with them at all. So I get 1.25 a foot and Im there while the mexicans do it for .40 a foot. I stand there and supervise. The client comes out talks to an educated white man who can speak the american language correctly.

Good luck in getting work as yes there is a lot of it as a few of you say but you're not getting the prices that I get on jobs either. There is a lot of work out there just drop your price compared to the others in the same field.

Look at how busy the fast food joints are. I went in one last week and had to wait. Because they have dropped the price of a lot of good items down to
$1.00. Now that is that lowballing or adjusting to the economy?

NOw that is an interesting topic someone should start.

Top Forums