1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

My latest "mowing" project

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Even though I have sold my lawn business, I just can not seem to get away from "mowing". Here are some photos of my latest "mowing" project.
    Mowing down 30 acres of trees and brush with a forestry mulcher. This is the first part of a 500 acre project.

Fecon just starting.jpg

Before looking south.jpg

after looking south.jpg

2. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Holy Moly..

Good luck, I hope everything works out.

3. spurlocklawn

spurlocklawn LawnSite Member

nice ride....how long is it going to take ya .....

4. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i just got done mowing with the same machine, check out my pics. are you renting it?

5. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

WOW that things like a Mini Kansas Tornado

6. Mowingman

from Texas

Spurlock,
    I averaged 2 acres/day on this property. Just completed a second location and averaged 4 acres/day on it. Production depends on how thick the trees and brush are, as well as what diameter most of the trees are.
    Picasso,
    You sure buried that little Fecon. I don't think I will have that problem with this FTX140. It is so dry dry here, the dust is hiding the mulching head from my view. I am running the windshield wiper to remove the dust so I can halfway see.
    My customer,(the landowner), has a long term lease on the Fecon. I have a contract to operate and maintain it, oversee all land clearing operations using whatever resources I may need to bring in, as well as grind out all the larger stumps with my stump grinder.
    I have tree service company dropping any trees over 6" diameter. They cut off the limbs so I can mulch them, then, they haul off the trunk sections. I then grind those stumps. I have ground 190 stumps on the first 30 acre tract already, and have about 200 more to grind.

7. P.Services

yeah that ftx 90 got stuck good, i was alot more carefull when i was running the ftx130 to keep it high and dry.they are nice to run until a tooth busts off then all hell breaks loose!! after this year rayco isnt building the carrier any more bombardier will be. hopefully they can make a better machine.
    L E fence company in texas has two of those fecons up for sale, with 500 acres maybe buying one of his machines would be a smart biz move.

http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6218169&GUID=3006D8FBD04E4124AB95EA4C30BDC9E9
    http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...6218163&GUID=3006D8FBD04E4124AB95EA4C30BDC9E9

8. Mowingman

from Texas

I don't think I want to own one. They take a beating every day and constant maint. is required. I like having no liability, (as in a loan), for the machine, and having no risk as far a paying for repairs. If I get other jobs, I can always rent one myself later on. At least I will know firsthand what the actual production capabilities and operating costs are, if I bid other clearing jobs.
    I really like how the machine operates. About the only thing I would change is the cab door. It is a pain to get in and out of it.

9. DK lawn care

DK lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

How much is that thing to rent and where do u rent them at?

10. P.Services

the fecon headquarters is in lebanon ohio you can call them and rent one direct or any fecon dealer will rent you one, the ftx90 runs $2200 per week the ftx140 runs $4600 per week