My lesson learned for 2019

Marine03112

LawnSite Silver Member
Well times change and so does the weather. With that said here is a Stat from UPenn.
In 9 out of the last 10 years, Pennsylvania has received more precipitation than the the 20th century average. Then heat. Lots of it. I have never thought that I would have to use fungicides. Well after brown patch, Pytium blight and assorted other disease issues I am going to finally offer at least two fungicide treatments for the summer. At least to minimize the damage to the lawns. PA weather is projected to be more Georgia like in the next 20 years. In the summer that is. I am also thinking about having people pre authorize me to apply fungicides when I see the stuff pop up. Pricing structure I think will be around $ 8.50 per thousand at current prices. With lawns that has problems in the past I am thinking about applying PPZ before issues pop up. Then if issues arise use Eagle for curative and some preventative. Next year I will be bringing someone on so I can be on properties more often. How do you all Southern guys do it? This is the second year my lawns are getting hammered by brown patch and pythium. Just can’t keep selling aeration so to folks every year. Adapt or go out of business so I will adapt. All customers that I have talked to are willing. Just need some tips to incorporate this in my program. All your advice and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Lar6493

LawnSite Member
I'm interested in this as well. We're over here in Pittsburgh and having been dealing with the same issues here. More dollar spot than anything!!!

jc1

LawnSite Silver Member
Have your customers onboard that want it. start to apply before the expected weather Conditions arrive. I know certain properties will have fungus issues and we start applying in mid May to be ahead instead of behind.

OP
Marine03112

Marine03112

LawnSite Silver Member
Have your customers onboard that want it. start to apply before the expected weather Conditions arrive. I know certain properties will have fungus issues and we start applying in mid May to be ahead instead of behind.
So your applying a preventative before hand. Nice

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Not a chem guy but am a homeowner with yearly fungus issues.

After fighting this for years we have come to the conclusion that it is best to do a blanket app about May 15-20th but no later than June 1. Night time temps in the 70's are what sets it off. High amounts of nitrogen are what feeds it.

Last year we(I) treated our lawn 4 times. This year only twice so far.

My experience is that curative takes twice as much chemical and lasts half as long as preventative.

First app was blanket; second was trouble spots.

For you northern guys night time temps is your signpost as to when to apply fungicides. Also, consider less nitrogen in the spring and more in the fall.

OP
Marine03112

Marine03112

LawnSite Silver Member
Ya man thanks for the good advice sjessen. The problem is most people look at me like I am nuts. Fungus fungus really? They look at me like ya sure it is. It’s your fault for not feeding my lawn correctly. Or you burned it. Here in Pennsylvania this has just started to be a thing. Most people look at me like I am from Asgard or something. But yes it seems PPZ will be the way to go with folks who had problems in the past. Now the folks who just start to have problems we’ll i am going to have to do a couple of curative apps. Something with eagle etc. even at the curative rate it isn’t to badly priced. People up here will have to learn that we will be getting Alabama and Georgia style summers if the planet continues to warm. I am going to have to really hammer home that yes fungus is a thing and it can kill your lawn. Start putting out informational flyers over the next few months to get it in there heads. I use quite a bit of stuff from Penn State to show folks I’m not blowing smoke. So great advice and I will take it to heart.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
First season grasses are most vulnerable. Established lawns can fight the stuff off sometimes. Really depends on moisture and humidity.

And, crazy as it sounds, after treating the fungus it helps to give the lawn a light dose of nitrogen to stimulate new grass growth.

One of my client's lawns uses a national company. They were hitting it hard with nitrogen. I noticed brown patch but said nothing since they had a service. Wiped out 1/2 of their front lawn.

Sounds like you will have to do some educating over the winter.

If I were in your shoes I would begin now.

Best wishes.

OP
Marine03112

Marine03112

LawnSite Silver Member
First season grasses are most vulnerable. Established lawns can fight the stuff off sometimes. Really depends on moisture and humidity.

And, crazy as it sounds, after treating the fungus it helps to give the lawn a light dose of nitrogen to stimulate new grass growth.

One of my client's lawns uses a national company. They were hitting it hard with nitrogen. I noticed brown patch but said nothing since they had a service. Wiped out 1/2 of their front lawn.

Sounds like you will have to do some educating over the winter.

If I were in your shoes I would begin now.

Best wishes.
I used to run 24 0 8 all mineral. Well that went out the door. I then went to 24 0 3 30 percent xcu. Well that’s gone out the door. Now I run 18 0 6 50 percent xcu with 3 percent iron. This analysis has seemed to work great. http://selectsourcellc.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Select-Micro-Pack-Specimen-Label_190412c.pdf I also was told this micro pak does wonders fighting disease. Iron seems to help also. What curative do you use?

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I used to run 24 0 8 all mineral. Well that went out the door. I then went to 24 0 3 30 percent xcu. Well that’s gone out the door. Now I run 18 0 6 50 percent xcu with 3 percent iron. This analysis has seemed to work great. http://selectsourcellc.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Select-Micro-Pack-Specimen-Label_190412c.pdf I also was told this micro pak does wonders fighting disease. Iron seems to help also. What curative do you use?
Propioconazole(sp) has worked best. Terrazole is recommended for summer patch. Seems we need to rotate products from time to time.