My little idea

Bam327

LawnSite Member
Hey all, long time lurker first time poster here. I’d like to get opinions from you more experienced guys with my very young business plan.
First, a little background on me. I have a Turfgrass Science degree and have spent the last 17 years in the golf course industry. I’ve managed a private country club for 7 years before moving to sales the last 10. I sell a very well known brand of commercial equipment. We don’t consider this industry commercial but rather RLC (residential, landscape contractors). But the equipment I sell is very similar just on a much larger scale. I live in a very populated and affluent area that’s only getting more affluent with the mass exodus of the major city I live near continues.
My idea is to start a fert, spray, seed and aeration company as a one man show for the first 5 years. When I was on the golf course I would get asked by members for this type of service often, but I didn’t have the time, equipment or desire when I was spending 70 hours a week on the course. In my full time job I call on over 100 golf course superintendents and I’m very close with many of them. I think I could start getting business from their members who inquire with them. My wife’s uncle also owns a grass cutting service but doesn’t do any of the above plan for my business. I think I could generate leads through him as well. And finally I will market strategically to target higher end neighborhoods with 1acre or larger properties which there are countless of these neighborhoods within a 30 mile radius of home.
Ideally I would like to keep a tight route for obvious reasons, but if I need to expand it farther than I’d like to the possibility is there. I’d like to sell customers on a service plan that I can get them to buy into my program of 6 applications for our season. I’d also offer ala-carte options as well, at least while I’m building a book of business. I am meeting with a colleague who sells chemicals and fertilizer next week to figure out what each application will cost me based on 1000 sq ft. Once I have that info I will be able to come up with my pricing plans. I am thinking 3 plans that include anything from the basics up to a complete package with everything from aeration, seeding, fertilizer, pre and post emergent control, grub control, crabgrass control, mosquito tick and flea control, growth regulation etc.
Timeline. My wife is sick right now and will not be in remission until the end of this year. I am focused on her and will not do anything major until she’s clear. For now I can plan. I know turf but I don’t know anything about running a business. I’m confident that I am able to though and that research will take place now. So at any rate, I will be looking to purchase a spreader sprayer and a stand on aerator and walk behind aerator before next spring. I plan to work my full time job and do this on the side unless I’m able to book enough business fast enough to make the full time move in ‘22. That is unlikely though. I drive a F250 and tow a 20’ deck over trailer nearly daily for work. The truck I drive is owner by the company I work for but it is written into my contract that it can be used for personal use. I plan to take full advantage of that along with the trailer next year. I want to make enough on the side to buy a salt spreader and plow. I plan on buying a new 2500 and 20’ aluminum deck over trailer before the end of 2022 and then make the move to full time before the spring of 23. As of now without counting income from the side next year, I can pay cash for everything except the snow equipment and product inventory, but should be ok there when the time comes to buy. I also am looking into storage unit rentals where I can store the equipment and inventory and ideally park the trailer. I plan on registering an LLC by the fall, and retaking my
5 year plan is to buy a property and put a poll barn on it. At that point I’d like to buy another truck and set up and hire an employee. Eventually hire another and I would move to a management and sales role inside 10 years.
The plan is put together to not have a payment on anything so I can get to full time ASAP. I also want to buy new as an equipment break down could devastate me in my first year and I would also be covered with a warranty.
Equipment and tax write offs: 2500 truck, Stinger 36 stand on aerator as well as their walk behind for smaller areas, Turfware spreader sprayer, 200 gallon water tank, 20’ deck over aluminum trailer.
One questions I have, is it legal to strap down a water tank onto a trailer to refill a sprayer? If not how do you guys refill?
I think I tried to cover everything for now. Not anywhere close to being final but I’d love to hear thoughts on this. By the way, I’m doing it because I want to be my own boss and all I really know is equipment and grass. I am a hustler and think I have enough contacts and enough cash to put down that I can set myself up for success. I don’t have an unlimited budget but if I go on the side next year and reinvest every dollar into the business I should be able to pay for everything outright and not have a payment anchoring me.

Shindaiwa_operator

LawnSite Fanatic
I have enclosed trailers, both of mine have water tanks. I have a 250 gallon in my small trailer and a 275 gallon in my big trailer. In the fall when I spray bare ground sterilant, I have 2 of the 275 gallon water tanks. I can’t answer the question if it’s legal or not.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Hey all, long time lurker first time poster here. I’d like to get opinions from you more experienced guys with my very young business plan.
First, a little background on me. I have a Turfgrass Science degree and have spent the last 17 years in the golf course industry. I’ve managed a private country club for 7 years before moving to sales the last 10. I sell a very well known brand of commercial equipment. We don’t consider this industry commercial but rather RLC (residential, landscape contractors). But the equipment I sell is very similar just on a much larger scale. I live in a very populated and affluent area that’s only getting more affluent with the mass exodus of the major city I live near continues.
My idea is to start a fert, spray, seed and aeration company as a one man show for the first 5 years. When I was on the golf course I would get asked by members for this type of service often, but I didn’t have the time, equipment or desire when I was spending 70 hours a week on the course. In my full time job I call on over 100 golf course superintendents and I’m very close with many of them. I think I could start getting business from their members who inquire with them. My wife’s uncle also owns a grass cutting service but doesn’t do any of the above plan for my business. I think I could generate leads through him as well. And finally I will market strategically to target higher end neighborhoods with 1acre or larger properties which there are countless of these neighborhoods within a 30 mile radius of home.
Ideally I would like to keep a tight route for obvious reasons, but if I need to expand it farther than I’d like to the possibility is there. I’d like to sell customers on a service plan that I can get them to buy into my program of 6 applications for our season. I’d also offer ala-carte options as well, at least while I’m building a book of business. I am meeting with a colleague who sells chemicals and fertilizer next week to figure out what each application will cost me based on 1000 sq ft. Once I have that info I will be able to come up with my pricing plans. I am thinking 3 plans that include anything from the basics up to a complete package with everything from aeration, seeding, fertilizer, pre and post emergent control, grub control, crabgrass control, mosquito tick and flea control, growth regulation etc.
Timeline. My wife is sick right now and will not be in remission until the end of this year. I am focused on her and will not do anything major until she’s clear. For now I can plan. I know turf but I don’t know anything about running a business. I’m confident that I am able to though and that research will take place now. So at any rate, I will be looking to purchase a spreader sprayer and a stand on aerator and walk behind aerator before next spring. I plan to work my full time job and do this on the side unless I’m able to book enough business fast enough to make the full time move in ‘22. That is unlikely though. I drive a F250 and tow a 20’ deck over trailer nearly daily for work. The truck I drive is owner by the company I work for but it is written into my contract that it can be used for personal use. I plan to take full advantage of that along with the trailer next year. I want to make enough on the side to buy a salt spreader and plow. I plan on buying a new 2500 and 20’ aluminum deck over trailer before the end of 2022 and then make the move to full time before the spring of 23. As of now without counting income from the side next year, I can pay cash for everything except the snow equipment and product inventory, but should be ok there when the time comes to buy. I also am looking into storage unit rentals where I can store the equipment and inventory and ideally park the trailer. I plan on registering an LLC by the fall, and retaking my
5 year plan is to buy a property and put a poll barn on it. At that point I’d like to buy another truck and set up and hire an employee. Eventually hire another and I would move to a management and sales role inside 10 years.
The plan is put together to not have a payment on anything so I can get to full time ASAP. I also want to buy new as an equipment break down could devastate me in my first year and I would also be covered with a warranty.
Equipment and tax write offs: 2500 truck, Stinger 36 stand on aerator as well as their walk behind for smaller areas, Turfware spreader sprayer, 200 gallon water tank, 20’ deck over aluminum trailer.
One questions I have, is it legal to strap down a water tank onto a trailer to refill a sprayer? If not how do you guys refill?
I think I tried to cover everything for now. Not anywhere close to being final but I’d love to hear thoughts on this. By the way, I’m doing it because I want to be my own boss and all I really know is equipment and grass. I am a hustler and think I have enough contacts and enough cash to put down that I can set myself up for success. I don’t have an unlimited budget but if I go on the side next year and reinvest every dollar into the business I should be able to pay for everything outright and not have a payment anchoring me.
Ambitious plan! I would buy the stand on, and rent other stuff as you need it until such time as business dictates it’s need. Your chems/ fert aren’t cheap and only getting more expensive.
You only miss the shots you don’t take, albeit prudently! Kudos on thinking about your spouse and putting thought into your biz plan. Most do not!

OP
B

Bam327

LawnSite Member
So I’ve got to ask, is this a good way for me to lose $100k? Is this a stupid idea? For me to do this full time I would need to make minimum $60-65k profit supplemented with $10-15k from plowing for this to work full time. Ideally I would like to make another $25k to reinvest into the business

OP
B

Bam327

LawnSite Member
I have enclosed trailers, both of mine have water tanks. I have a 250 gallon in my small trailer and a 275 gallon in my big trailer. In the fall when I spray bare ground sterilant, I have 2 of the 275 gallon water tanks. I can’t answer the question if it’s legal or not.
What’s your rate and how many acres do you spray a day? I was thinking .5 Gal per M and a 200 gallon tank should get me 5 acres before needing to refill

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
Sounds like you've got a leg up on many.

I'd try to get your hands on a Stinger Quad Air with seed box for aerations and seeding. They were hard to get last year.

I wish you luck

OP
B

Bam327

LawnSite Member
Sounds like you've got a leg up on many.

I'd try to get your hands on a Stinger Quad Air with seed box for aerations and seeding. They were hard to get last year.

I wish you luck
I’m looking at their 36” unit. Do you know how it handles slopes? I figure adding their walk behind unit in addition for slopes and smaller properties.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I’m looking at their 36” unit. Do you know how it handles slopes? I figure adding their walk behind unit in addition for slopes and smaller properties.
I've never used one, but reviews say they are the bees knees. Not sure about slopes. If I was buying a ride on aerator, it would be my first choice.

Top Forums