My little idea

OP
B

Bam327

LawnSite Member
Do you really need to invest 100k right away? Seems like you could find a way to use less money and see how things go first.
No. With my plan I will buy the spreader/sprayer and aerators before next season. ~$40k investment. Planning on doing it on the side, hopefully get 30-60 acres next season part time. If this works out as planned, I would invest another $60k into a truck and trailer before the 2023 season. I would use the money I made on the side in 2022 and buy a plow and salt spreader and buy my inventory for 2023 on early order. I would save a lot of money by doing early order and even though I invested that capital, I would look at everything in 2023 as profit.
If anyone thinks this is crazy stupid please speak up. I’m not easily offended and I want honest opinions and answers.

OP
B

Bam327

LawnSite Member
Another question for you guys. My target customer is going to be 1 acre or larger properties. I think eventually I could build a customer base just of these types. What size spreader sprayer do you recommend? My initial thought was a big one like a 52”er. But now I’m thinking of a unit to fit through a 48” gate. What do you all think?

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Another question for you guys. My target customer is going to be 1 acre or larger properties. I think eventually I could build a customer base just of these types. What size spreader sprayer do you recommend? My initial thought was a big one like a 52”er. But now I’m thinking of a unit to fit through a 48” gate. What do you all think?
A 36 z spray is a good start, and can get your 1 acre properties. But you may want to spray out a few props that size to see how much you’ll need. You may be filling up the 200 gal tank quicker than you anticipate. Some trial runs will help dial it in.

OP
B

Bam327

LawnSite Member
A 36 z spray is a good start, and can get your 1 acre properties. But you may want to spray out a few props that size to see how much you’ll need. You may be filling up the 200 gal tank quicker than you anticipate. Some trial runs will help dial it in.
Thank you. Due to personal... vengeance I guess you could say, a Z Spray will never be in my future but I’ve been looking into Steel Greens machines. I plan to demo one this year and if it can handle slopes to my expectations they will be the winner. If it can’t handle the slopes I will then demo a Turfware. I’m hoping the Steel Green passes the test because I can buy both the Steel Green and Stinger from the same dealer 5 mins from my house. They also have mobile service which while expensive is nice if you need it.
I guess where my head is at now is that to start off I should probably set myself up to service properties through a min 36” gate and if I can be selective with my clients eventually with bigger properties I could upgrade to bigger equipment. So yeah the 36” unit makes sense.
I plan on the 20’ aluminum deck over trailer because I can grow into it and it’s what I drive now. I’ve been tugging the same one for 8 years and it’s needed minimal work and I tow much heavier now than I would with my biz. If I needed to add a second tank I would have the room.
I’m also thinking about upping the truck to a 3500 SRW and carrying a 300 gal water tank in the bed. I’ve got a good buddy that’s a cop that’s looking into the legality of strapping a tank to the trailer.

Jeff@diyokc

LawnSite Senior Member
Thank you. Due to personal... vengeance I guess you could say, a Z Spray will never be in my future but I’ve been looking into Steel Greens machines. I plan to demo one this year and if it can handle slopes to my expectations they will be the winner. If it can’t handle the slopes I will then demo a Turfware. I’m hoping the Steel Green passes the test because I can buy both the Steel Green and Stinger from the same dealer 5 mins from my house. They also have mobile service which while expensive is nice if you need it.
I guess where my head is at now is that to start off I should probably set myself up to service properties through a min 36” gate and if I can be selective with my clients eventually with bigger properties I could upgrade to bigger equipment. So yeah the 36” unit makes sense.
I plan on the 20’ aluminum deck over trailer because I can grow into it and it’s what I drive now. I’ve been tugging the same one for 8 years and it’s needed minimal work and I tow much heavier now than I would with my biz. If I needed to add a second tank I would have the room.
I’m also thinking about upping the truck to a 3500 SRW and carrying a 300 gal water tank in the bed. I’ve got a good buddy that’s a cop that’s looking into the legality of strapping a tank to the trailer.
if the steel green has the coxreel 75 ft hose, that would also cover a lot of small gate areas. I also use a jatco back pack sprayer for some small areas. I normally use it to spray pgr when necessary. I have an old chapin 20v I use for sterilants.

Youngandfree

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm not sure about any legal issues with a tank on the trailer. Pressure washing guys do it all the time.

OP
B

Bam327

LawnSite Member
I'm not sure about any legal issues with a tank on the trailer. Pressure washing guys do it all the time.
Thanks. The reason I am concerned is because I sell and routinely haul 2-300 gallon sprayers and I was always told I have to haul them empty to be legal. That was just from coworkers though

Toro44

LawnSite Senior Member
We put a 200 gallon tank in the back of our f350 as a transfer tank. I also think a 20ft deck over trailer is way overkill for what you are doing. I’d go with something enclosed. Then if it rains, no biggie. We’ve got an 8.5x16ft v nose that we use for fert and squirt and aerating.

Top Forums