My new building

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
yay ! I am always happy when it works. the angle iron used was 3/16 and 1/4" thick 2x2 steel. very heavy duty. all seams fully mig welded.

money spent- angle iron and metal cutter blades, about 80 bucks. so 7562 plus 80 is 7642. but big expenses coming.

the new roof will be larger than originally budgeted because of larger overhangs of the larger trusses, which I like, but gotta pay for it. also, the original bid did not include a 2 foot overhang in the front and back. it just looks better. I also went to #1 45 year baked on color metal, as opposed to silver galvanized. the price of steel has creeped up over the 3 months or so since I started, and I finally added a "ridgelight" mentioned above. it replaces the steel ridge line piece with a translucent polycarbonate similar to the skylight roof panels, except it is made for a ridge. it lets light in and I went full length of the building. all of thse items add to costs, so I am at 3500 bucks for my metal materials for the roof. that includes everything- screws, facia board covers, "rat guard" " rake and corner" etc. you will learn what these terms mean when you build your building. I did.

I will need additional purlins because the roof is larger. I am hoping this is less than 500 bucks. but who knows.

my builder is still due 2000 bucks, but he will probably ask for more money because the roof is larger. I will counter that he is only doing half the trusses originally bid, and I had to finish putting up the headers that he was also getting paid for. I am hoping for a wash.

so my estimated finish line costs are over 13,500 but less that 14k at this point. but that is mostly my fault for larger trusses ( more purlins and more metal) and the best quality roof metal choices that make that extra square footage cost even more. . I could cut the extra off the trusses and use cheaper roof metal as originally bid. but not really the way I want to go right now.

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
and just a miscellaneous thought to leave you with.

In getting a quote for the whole list of stuff you need for a metal roof, I have an interesting factoid for you. a 22 foot long side of a truss, on an 88 foot long building with a 2 2 foot overhangs on the gable ends, and 2 inch overhang for gutters, is about 2000 square foot per side of roof. my entire roof is about 4000 sqare feet. they reccomend 100 screws per "square" or per 100 square foot.

or 4000 screws to attatch all the metal to my building. 4000 screws ! color matched to the metal, They have silicone washer to self seal, but that is 400 bucks in screws ! They come 250 per bag, and I need 16 bags !

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
man, 5 weeks later and It appears that in the next week or so my builder is finally going to put on the trusses,purlins and metal roof. I hope it is a go. I will try to take photos of progress. money will be flowing the net few days to buy some more purlins and the metal roof and trim, I will update that as well.

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
cost updates- money spent- gave builder 1000 more for his labor out of 3200. To add snow strength he wants to add a 20 foot, 2 inch tall and 2 inch wide 1/8 inch thick steel collar tie welded to top and bottom chords of trusses ( to make a medium triangle in the middle ), bought those today, 275 bucks, plus another 275 for his labor to do that. ( I have not paid that yet) That should happen monday pending weather. bought 800 metal to wood screws to attatch purlins to steel trusses, 84 bucks. bought additional 2x4x18's and a few 2x4x12's, 225 bucks. rented a lift for one day so they had 3 lifts to do trusses. 140 bucks. add it up- 1849 out plus previous total of 7642 is 9491. still need to pay builder around 1500 bucks and pay for the roof which should be around 3500.

decided to drop the ridge light because of various discussions with my builder, addtional purlin clips needed to be welded on the trusses, he does not like them, etc, etc. so I went with the traditional steel ridge. frustrating to want something and not be able to get it. but life goes on. it should save me about 200 bucks, maybe.

really frustrated at spending another 550 on the trusses. You try to save money by going used, theyare twice as strong as wood, but no matter, I will never use used trusses again, the next building will be brand new red iron I beams. You live and learn.

I am excited that the building finally is starting to look like a building. roof should be on by wednesday evening.

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
on the back ward truss thing- I would agree that it makes more sense to me too to have more bulk in the middle and less near the headers/sides of the building. but looking at most steel trusses, both I beam and web trusses, they both get skinny as you go towards the middle of a building.

on the bigness, it has a 26 foot peak and 19 foot sides at the header top ( plus the high side of the truss adds about 18 inches to that) , with a 4 foot overhang on the sides and 2 foot overhang on the front and back peak. the old metal building beside it has just over 9 foot sidewall.

bought more screws today and 120 nuts for the 3/8 bolts on the angle braces that go between the purlins and the trusses. spent 34 bucks.

OP
D

David Gretzmier

LawnSite Gold Member
finally paid for roof, 3479 bucks. ouch. bought a few 2x4's ( 30 bucks ) for bracing some stuff. bought the 5 guys working some gaterade in that 30 bucks too. roof metal not on yet, all collar ties welded on ( the previously mentioned 20 foot long 2x2 x 1/8" thich steel angle iron), all angle brackets, and x braces are in. on metal roof, they had started the "eave trim" which is kind of a drip edge that also covers the 2x4 purlin on the long outside edges where gutters might go. tomorrow, pending weather, they should start the metal roof. also paid for renting a welder to weld the collar ties on the metal trusses- 98 bucks. I have a 110 volt mig welder, but the builder did not feel it was penetrating the metal good enough to stop a snowstorm load on the roof. so I rented a 180 amp gas powered miller.

9491 previous total plus 34 from last post, plus 3479+30+98

new total 13132. new photos below-