Lawn Care Forum banner

My new Lazer Z 27hp Kowi paper weight

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Runner 
#1 ·
Boy am I frustrated. I picked up my New Lazer Z on April 26. On April 27 when I went to go mow with it (smiling ear to ear) the battery was dead. So I thought wow my dealer didn't even charge the battery for me. So I had to unhook the trailer and jump the mower(10 min down time). No problem the thing cuts great. Ran it for 45 min and went to the next job. Still looking forward to mowing with it. Go to start it up, again dead battery. Now I'm pissed. Called the dealer and told him the battery in the mower was no good. He said charge it for 4 hrs and try again. I did and tryed to mow with it the next day. I thought, fresh charge on the battery I'm ready to go. Went to start it up on the first job and guess what. DEAD BATTERY. Now I'm really pissed. Brought it to the dealer to check out and after dropping off 3 consecutive days and picking it up still no answer. Mower is to new. Not enough info on it yet. What the heck is going on. Anyone else having problems? Any suggestions?

#2 ·
start it up put a meter on it..if it shows 13 or a tad higher its charging.if it shows 12 not doing too much of any charging..tell the dealer better fix it or youll go buy a chopper or something from somewhere else..they will fix it. good luck

#3 ·
Yes! I bought my Lazer around this time last year, and this Spring MY battery was dead. The dealer told me they had an incredible amount of these Interstate batts coming back. He said they made HIM start testing them before he exchanged them because there were so many he was exchanging. He kept it for the night, called me the next day, and told me I can come in and get a new one. This is not an uncommon, and Exmark is aware of it. They are working with all the dealers on this so DON'T let your dealer give you any slack over it! Man it's nice to have some inside info, isn't it?

#4 ·
You didn't by any chance, override the operator presence controls did you? I have heard that jury rigging these can cause a constant load on the battery all the time. I haven't fiddled with mine, and probably wont, since they are pretty forgiving and allow engine running dismount with blades off. I haven't looked into the wiring of the switches, but have heard that its happened before.

Let us know.

P.S. Did you perform a load test on the battery? Maybe your dealer forgot to fill the battery with acid!?

#5 ·
What the hell is wrong with your dealer? I'd be on him like flies on you know what!!! I'd want the charging system checked out and repaired if needed and a NEW battery installed while I waited for it!!! If these things didn't happen I'd be calling a lawyer from my cell phone while standing in front of the dealers face in his showroom and speaking loudly into the phone!!! Some of these dealers never cease to amaze me.

#6 ·
These machines have a voltmeter standard, right next to the temperature gauge. What did it read? Doesn't sound like what happened to you, but a couple of times I went to start mine and nothing--I thought oh no, dead battery, but then realized that I didn't have the brake handle set. Pulled the brake on and started right up. You're sure this isn't what you're doing aren't you? I've been mowing like crazy with mine and it just eats it up and spits it out! Will M.

#8 ·
The comment by dixie1 kinda makes me think. I just had a new engine with electric start put on my Exmark 48" hydro w/b. It has an interstate battery, and I noticed now that the opc controls are disabled. I haven't had any dead battery problems yet but it makes me wonder, if I will. I wonder why the dealer did this? I guess I will have to ask.

#13 ·
After telling you to charge it and see what happens, you should have told him, I need to mow grass now. This bs that he makes you wait this long after you bought it from him and his first soultion to the problem didn't work and cost you alot of downtime. Tell him that he can keep it if it is that much of a problem and you will go buy another machine that is more dependable. I think he will fix your problem right away.

#14 ·
I run a 60 Lazer and Wb and never a second's trouble with either..

If the dealer didn't have you up and running you should have at least had a loaner on the trailer ASAP! And I ain't talking about some 100 year old chopper somebody traded in either...not that a 100 year old chopper wouldn't do the job....LOL...

Better Luck next time..Chris.

#15 ·
I figured I'd let everyone know how I made out with the Lazer. I finally got a new voltage regulater after 8 days. Thank God I was able to mow with this machine as long as I kept it running. I should bill the dealer for the extra fuel I burned due to the wait on the part. But it has started 3 days in a row. I'm very happy. Not with the service I've received but that I think the problem is finally fixed. Cuts great and fast.

#16 ·
just wanted to let you know that the problem still lives! I picked up my lazer and mowed with it for 3 hours and it cut off like yours. would never start after mowing or getting it off trailer even. dealer came out and replaced the battery and still had the problem. turns out it was the voltage regulator was bad as the electric clutch was drawing down the battery while unit was running. with repair i've run it for 2 weeks solid with no problems. i'm like you though, after the rough start i about had the dealer keep it.

#17 ·
I've been reading (from here) quite a lot of horror stories about kawasaki's. I do seem to remember kohler having some problems with I believe the 25hp. So two questions.... Is kohler's problem solved with the 25hp? And if given a choice between kohler or kawasaki, which one do some of you recommend?

BTW.. I've had dealers say STAY AWAY from the kawasaki's. The parts are very difficult to get.

Killer

#18 ·
take that P.O.S. and trade it in on a commercial snapper - hands down the snapper dealer in this area takes wonderful care of me - if i break something it is usually fixed that day and if it isnt then they will let me borrow one of there loaners and if they are out of loaners then i get to take a new one till they are done - i love my 2000 snapper z rider (52in cut w/25hp kohler)- it has a 2 year commercial waranty and a 4 year warranty on spindles - the only repairs done was a faulty hydro that leaked around the cooling fan - other than that i have replaced belts one time just the two that come off the hydros - and thats my fault for riding steep slopes - also another thing that i got to see is a tweaked out version that had been tinkered with by masterminds at snapper they did something to the hydros and got a 16mph top speed out of it - i plan on doing it to mine after my waranty expires - i know you cant mow that fast but it will get yer azz to the next yard fast LOL:blob3:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.