Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a set of meg Mo blades installed on my JD 757 w/60" deck, this afternoon. So, far I've cut 1 lawn with them and all I can say is wow. I'm able to throw the clippings twice as far, leaving no clumps at all. The clippings are less than half the size of when I ran the JD mulch kit. Seems to have good lift, I didn't have any stringers still standing and I didn't do any double cutting. Here is a picture of the blades. I'll post more in the future.

Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a pic of the lawn I cut with the Meg MO blades.

Sky Cloud Tree Plant Natural landscape

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can sharpen them right on the machine with a air sander or a electric angle grinder. I don't think they are quite the same as running doubles since all four blades are on the same plane. Also, once the initial purchase is made replacement cost would be only 16.00 per spindle for new blades. One added benefit is if you hit something with the Meg Mo blades, they can fold back possibly eliminating damage to the blade.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Originally posted by DLCS
I just had a set of meg Mo blades installed on my JD 757 w/60" deck, this afternoon. So, far I've cut 1 lawn with them and all I can say is wow. I'm able to throw the clippings twice as far, leaving no clumps at all. The clippings are less than half the size of when I ran the JD mulch kit. Seems to have good lift, I didn't have any stringers still standing and I didn't do any double cutting. Here is a picture of the blades. I'll post more in the future.
Those look pretty good to me! Nice Lawn too! (Even tough no stripes, I LIKE it!) BTW, How do you like the JD Stamped 7 Iron Deck?

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by The Lawn Boy Pro
Those look pretty good to me! Nice Lawn too! (Even tough no stripes, I LIKE it!) BTW, How do you like the JD Stamped 7 Iron Deck?
Stamped decks have always worked for me. I have never had any trouble with them.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Lazer_Z
Hey DLCS can ya give us a little info on wherew you got them ?

and what other mowers will they fit?

Thank You
Go to www.meg-mo.com . The website will tell what sizes are available and how you can contact Meg Mo systems.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure how they would work with a mulch kit. Actually, they mulch better than my JD mulch kit. Roy could answer that question for you. The knives are bolted to the disk so I guess you could take them off to sharpen them.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wanted to add that i mowed all day and the edges of the blades are still in good shape. Doesn't seem like these blades nick like other blades because of the folding back action. I mowed one lawn today that in the past I always had to double cut part of it since it grows so fast. Well, with these Meg Mo blades there was no double cutting done today. They work great for me.:)

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
The new design of the Meg-Mo's with the holes blown in the disc have made a big difference in their performance. I have seen some posts in the past that were rating the performance of the old style blades that had a solid disc, and there is no comparison. Like comparing the model T to a Park Avenue.

Thanks, Brad

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by The Lawn Boy Pro
When you first engage the PTO, can you feel/hear the deck & blades rattling from the swinging motion, or is there a great enough cintrificial force to keep them from doing that:confused:
Sometimes I hear a quick clunk when the blades are first engaged but that is the only time. I believe its from the blades hitting the disk when they first start. But as far as deck rattle no you don't get any of that pretty smooth running.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Originally posted by DCLS "Just wanted to add that i mowed all day and the edges of the blades are still in good shape. Doesn't seem like these blades nick like other blades because of the folding back action".

Thanks for the post..I was waiting for someone to post some photos and feedback on this product.
Let me assure you that with the (BTS) blade tip speed we are taking about the swinging action of these blades is not going to save it from a nick if you hit something. The only thing the swinging action will do is keep you from trashing a spindle and possibly all the blades if you run it on top a rock. This is a good feature for someone who does some rough cutting like myself.

If the blades are lasting longer it might be the hardness. Keep in mind that as the hardness increases so does the chance of losing a bigger chunk of metal if you do hit something. The Scag Marbaine blades are really hard (a file barely scratches them), and if you hit something you generally cant repair the blade due to the missing chunk.

My concern with this system would be the amount of time to change each blade. You would almost need two sets of everything to make a quick swap and then worry about sharpening later.

Jimbo

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.